Were power brakes available in 67 on A-body 383's?

-

31pickemup

Reaction score
I just have a question about power disc brakes on a A-body in 67. Could you get them in the state's in 67. My 67 383 car has disc brakes but no booster. I thought I've read somewhere you could'nt get boosters on A-body big block cars. I'm curious about upgrading to a booster if its possible and if it really would make a big difference or hurt the valve of the car.

I seem to recall reading of a special offset bracket to make it fit, but no such items are listed in the '67, '68, and '69 factory parts catalogues, which are silent on the matter of whether power brakes were available with the big-block engines. Other parts unique to big-block A-bodies are present in these same parts catalogues, so the cars are covered, but there's no note either way in the brake section.

If I remember right the first year you could not get power brakes or steering-at least at first. I think later on you could get one of them but I do not know which.

to answer your question, my 67 383 GTS I bought new came with power disc with booster and dual piston Kelsey Hayes calipers

bought it in May 67 from Carl Price Lincoln, Mercury, Dodge in Jasper, Al for $2800.cash, it is in GTS registry, Joe

Hmmmmm Well mine was made June 9. Its the last one in the registry to have been built at this time. I guess it was a option. I just have never seen disc brakes on a car that didn't have a booster.

I did go to manual disc and big bolt pattern now, kept all the original parts in case anyone every got crazy and wanted it worse than me to put back original. May happen one day since I am turning 62 tomorrow but probably not for a long time, Joe

I just have a question about power disc brakes on a A-body in 67. Could you get them in the state's in 67. My 67 383 car has disc brakes but no booster. I thought I've read somewhere you could'nt get boosters on A-body big block cars. I'm curious about upgrading to a booster if its possible and if it really would make a big difference or hurt the valve of the car.
Here is a pic of my 67 I had and hopefully might be getting it back.:cheers: It was a build date of Feb..

Attachments

• DSC06549 - Copy.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC00114.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 137
Here is a pic of my 67 I had and hopefully might be getting it back.:cheers: It was a build date of Feb..

All 67's had disc brakes but very few had power disc. I have seen more Barracuda's with power disc brakes than Darts. I have owned 4 Darts and all had manual discs. The red car pictured is the only Dart I have ever seen with a power booster but I have seen a couple Barracuda's with boosters.

I have looked into this.

What I could find…… Power was optional.
What I could not find…….. Anything that said "Not available with 383".
What does this mean? I don't know. LOL

For your questions……

Reversible upgrades should not hurt value. (This is something you could change back in an afternoon).

But….. I don't think you will get much out of it. The light weight a-body doesn't need a power booster if the system is in good condition.

I also have non-power discs. My pedal is firm. Effort is low. Stopping power is very good.

For 67, KH discs were required with 383 cars, (among other items), and power brakes were optional- power steering was not available with the 383.

I have the KH brakes as well, no power, and they are very good and do not pull to one side or the other. I would rather have power steering, but only sometimes.

FYI: I replaced my mc with a power mc from a (roughly) 71-76 Dodge, and the brakes perform much better now. I forget where I read that, but I did it many years ago and I am very pleased.

Either Mopar Action or Mopar Muscle had an article about a year ago and according to them you could get power brakes and steering on the 67 BB A body Darts but for some reason Plymouth waited until 68 before it was available on the 383 Barracuda's.

-
Back