Wetsanding This Week After my Car got Spraypainted

-

courvillejustin

Reaction score
One has to love high school.:thebirdm: Last Tuesday night my car 1969 Dart was tagged everything was hit. UGH.. Now I'm spending my week wet sanding her.
Any tips? Suggestions?

Try oven cleaner just dont leave it on to long. Dont know what kind of paint you have but it worked to get old sponsers off my racecar that are no longer on board.

Find out who did it and beat the holy living F**K out of them. Then beat their parents and kick their dog!

Are you going to repaint it or are you just sanding down to the primer to get the crap off? Razor blade will take care of the glass and very fine steel wool will get the chrome.

Lacquer thinner on a rag should remove rattlecan spray paint from everything. If the primer on your car is catylized, it won't hurt that either.

Before you make a bad situation worse, the paint that is, feel free to beat the crap out of them, not the dog though, I doubt he had anything to do with it. What type of paint is on your Dart, if it's original, laquer thinner is going to remove your paint too, oven cleaner may as well. Everyone keeps talking about primer, I'm assuming you just want the crap off your paint so let's start there, don't just jump in and really eff it up. If you wet sand, you'll have to buff so you may want to try something else first and work towards more aggressive solutions.

I'd put some acetone on a rag and try to wipe it off. As mentioned earlier go easy, it could also remove your paint depending on its vintage, but the spray paint should come off first, just check a small spot first. Same goes for glass and chrome, acetone should cure it. Most spray cans run enamel so acetone should work better than thinner. I'd try to avoid wet-sanding if possible, you'll have to buff that afterward. Depending on how thick the spray paint is, you may be able to buff it off too, which saves you the time wet sanding.

Careful using a razor blade on glass...I thought it wouldn't scratch but it did.

Lets see a pic of what your dealing with.
I've power washed a lot of cheap paint off.
It sometimes comes off real easy if they sprayed it in
cool and damp weather.

Alright I'll go take some pics real quick I have been able to get most of it off so far there a re just a few spots. I had primer on and I had to wet sand anyway. Thanks for the replies. Ill post pics in a few

Use baking soda.. Make a paste with it and it will remove the paint without hurting the shine on your car. Have had to do it on 2 of my friends cars and it works great.

What type of paint is on your Dart, if it's original, laquer thinner is going to remove your paint too

Factory exterior finishes (and excluding later repairs by body shops) were acrylic enamel, not lacquer. Chrysler had some of the toughest finishes out there. GM was the one fond of lacquer.

Lacquer thinner will dissolve spray paint. Acetone is more volatile and will work too but it evaporates faster. Either will attack certain types of plastic.

Ahh just done sanding. I finally got everything out and got the rest of the car down, now ready for a second coat of primer. Also the kid that did it drives some 90's t bird a tiny little gay car lol not even worth messing with it. Yeah we called the cops and they did nothing except be utterly useless and waste my time. Oh well, gives me more time with my car I'm going to get it painted Plum Crazy here soon.

No no no, You use liquid nails to glue his tires to his driveway...

I've done that before and it works great! :-D
Got his tires, his front door, back door, side door, garage door, and his windows. After we did a few brodies in his front yard with my 77 lil red clone with a 383 at 5am the guy had to bust out his bedroom window so he could jump in his new mustang and chase us, his tires didn't move at all.
Stupid crackhead drug dealers.

Ahh just done sanding. I finally got everything out and got the rest of the car down, now ready for a second coat of primer. Also the kid that did it drives some 90's t bird a tiny little gay car lol not even worth messing with it. Yeah we called the cops and they did nothing except be utterly useless and waste my time. Oh well, gives me more time with my car I'm going to get it painted Plum Crazy here soon.

Dude if you don't kick his *** for Fing with your MOPAR I will come out to your place and do it myself the next time I'm down in Vegas.

No offense to any that are on this site but the cops are useless when it comes to things like this. If you don't/can't kick his *** at least find a way to F with his head!

Haha thanks man. I went to a college class tonight and he was there... yeah I kinda lost it, the kid wasn't much of a brawler I had him in an ankle lock and possibly shattered his knee.. lol I have to say I love my mopar too much to let him get away with it. But I agree the cops are completely useless, they were complete dicks about the situation. I feel better now though haha. Thanks for the offer, that is commitment :cheers:. Just teaches people not to mess with us mopar guys.

Casually install some Super Glue in door and trunk locks and also a bead along the windshield wiper blades. And don't forget the quart of 'doe pee' thru the fresh air vents. Also a quart of polyurethane black paint ( with a bunch of hardner mixed in) on all the windows will really set it off.

There is always the vaseline on the windshield covered in sand trick......boy can that scratch.

Factory exterior finishes (and excluding later repairs by body shops) were acrylic enamel, not lacquer. Chrysler had some of the toughest finishes out there. GM was the one fond of lacquer.

Lacquer thinner will dissolve spray paint. Acetone is more volatile and will work too but it evaporates faster. Either will attack certain types of plastic.

Are you serious? I thought all factory was laquer back in the 60's and 70's, my Duster has original paint in the trunk and that sure doesn't look like aceylic enamel. Interesting information

Yeah, here's a sample page from a '69 FSM.

I've had pieces that aircraft stripper would hardly phase. Can be tough stuff. I get a kick out of seeing 30+ year old C-Body barges with paint that's still in good shape.

Refinish.jpg

Thanks for that info, I would never have guessed that, although in retrospect, a freind of mine had a 70 sublime Challenger back in 75 or so when we were in high school and when I visualize it, it does look like acrylic, but that's the only car I can think of that did. :munky2:

-
Back