What 408 timing settings?

-

Backally

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi People. Got a 408, 9.5cr, Edelbrock heads with some work but don't have flow numbers. Cam is Lunati 20200712, 231/239 @ .050, .535/550 lift. TTI headers. I have had a Holley sniper efi on it for a couple years, was running good but it has the ability to control timing so enabled that this year. Has a MSD Probillit, I do not know what the idle timing was with that, forgot to check it before locking it out. Right now I have the timing settings at 20 deg at idle, 36 wot(engine builder dyno setting), and that is all in at 2800rpm. I have not had vacuum advance before, can do that with the Sniper so have that set at 40 deg, will bump it up if the engine likes it.

Do those settings sound decent? I have not had it out much yet this spring. I am using the same fuel tables I used last year and it was running pretty good. It seems pretty solid if I accelerate brisk or stand on it. I get a little surging during cruise and low speeds like pulling out from a stop, and it just feels weak at normal city driving.. Cruise rpm is anywhere from about 1800-2300 rpm around town.

Opinions? Questions?
Thanks!

Last edited:
No one? Just wondering if these settings sound reasonable or if I got to much initial and is all in at 2800 sound to fast?

Last edited:
I have a 408 with similar specs as what you describe above. I run mine with 22* initial 32* at 3200 with 8* vac advance controlled by ProFlo4 EFI.

You didn’t say open or closed chamber heads. 36* total if closed chamber heads sounds a little high but if it was ok on the dyno then you should be good.

The surging under cruise sounds like a lean condition. Add a little more fuel and see what happens.

-
Back