What a day. 3 things.

-

g413

Reaction score
I've had this 67 Barracuda V8 for about 2 years, but I just find little bits of time to work on it. It was very complete, but a LOT of little things weren't quite right. So I spent some time on it today. The car had factory A/C.

First
I was putting the alternator back on the car and I had a dark green wire and a dark blue wire with a connector plug that I couldn't remember which wire went where. I needed to connect up the "field" connection. I look up the diagram which should make it easy, but both the A/C wire and the alternator wire are shown as DGN (dark green). Oh great. I do a continuity test from the alternator relay and realize it was the DGN wire that went to "field" connection. So the Blue wire must go to the compressor, but it is either wrong on the car or the diagram.

Second
I get back from a short drive and look under the car and there seems to be a little notch (hole) on the driver's side exhaust pipe where it sweeps down and is routed to the rear of the car. At this point, the steering linkage is very close. I think the first exhaust pipe support has come loose or broke, and the steering linkage going back and forth has been slicing the pipe.

Finally
I'm looking at the throttle linkage where it does a right-angle turn just by the distributor, and I can't see what is holding it in place. Turns out the last person (not me) that worked on it left out the cotter pin.

Good news is that at least I've noticed and will correct a couple of problems. Many more to go!

The Blue does go to the compressor and the green slides on the alt terminal. Does it have dual fields?

It just has one "field" connection, and 2 other wires go to the battery stud. Also 340duster340 said, "Always something!" I think I said that to myself at least 10 times yesterday.

-
Back