What a great conversation I had yesterday

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Brought my car to a show yesterday and although I would not consider my car a show car, but it is cool and appealing to many. I always do a head count on A bodies and there weren't many. There was a 72 Demon 340 at the show and on the show entry paper showing the car number and owners name it said original owner. I went by the car numerous times and finally the owner and his wife were near it. I told the guy he's done a great job being the caretaker for the Demon for the last 50+ years. I talked to them for a while and I could not tell you how great the car was....It had been repainted somewhere along the way and the paint match was not great on the white original color but still a great car. I assume it had patch panels on the quarters since these cars rotted instantly. The car only had a garage a few years of its past and the owners told me how they regularly drove the car in the winter to Vermont to go skiing. Ski rack on the roof and snow tires on steel wheels in the back. How cool is that? I asked him to lift the hood to get a look at the 340 and he was embarrassed to show me but he did.......It was pretty grungy, but I thought to myself it could look a lot better after a weekend of work.....Degreaser and a power wash and it would've looked great. I asked if he had the window sticker for the car and he said he has misplaced it.....He found it and put it somewhere safe and forgot where he put it. He's never looked for a build sheet and the interior is original so I'm sure there are a few sheets in that car. ALthough I got out and drove my car and went with no one and knew no one at the show I was there for more than 3 hours. I had many conversations with many people but that Demon and the owners made my visit worth the gas and 4 hours of my life for the entire trip and show visit.

That is the only reason I go to car shows. I love to talk to the people that have a long history with their car. Not the LS or Hemi swap stuff. Don't get me wrong I think they are bad *** but there is something about the ones that have had them forever. I still have my VW I bought in high school. I'm the second owner of my 72 Scamp and the second owner of my 97 Dakota and the second owner of my Challenger. I'm not selling and they all look great. At 62 years young I'm not buying anything new. I can keep the old ones going!
:thumbsup:

That's what it's about! I find I've come to know more and more people at the shows, that I never get through them completely. I usually end up hanging out with people from the F*BO community at the end of the day.

-
Back