What are the biggest wheels and tires..

-

68dart340

Reaction score
..that would fit on a stock, '68 Dart
I have 14 x 8 Cragar SS's on the back and 14 x 6's on the front, but I want atleast a 10 inch wide wheel on the back, would it fit and if not what modifactions would I have to do? Also, if anyone is running this what is your backspacing?
Thanks in advance
Dan

I run 15x10 on the back of my dart. I had the wheels made at Stockton Wheel in Calif. They have 7.5 backspace and I run a 295/50 on the rear

I don't think a 10" wheel & tire will fit inside a stock 68 dart fender. You would have to move the springs under the frame and mini tub the car.

Is that what you did 71Dart?

Max rear spacing I have been able to get under the car with stock set up is 4 7/8" backspace.

I do have 10" rims on my Demon with 5 1/2" back spacing and MT 12.50X28 tires. I just moving the springs in 3/4" on each side and no tubs but there is no way it would fit under the 68 Dart because fenders come down lower on the 68 Dart.

zhandfull said:
I don't think a 10" wheel & tire will fit inside a stock 68 dart fender. You would have to move the springs under the frame and mini tub the car.

Is that what you did 71Dart?

Max rear spacing I have been able to get under the car with stock set up is 4 7/8" backspace.

I do have 10" rims on my Demon with 5 1/2" back spacing and MT 12.50X28 tires. I just moving the springs in 3/4" on each side and no tubs but there is no way it would fit under the 68 Dart because fenders come down lower on the 68 Dart.

I did the minitub and relocated the springs to the framerails. That is the only way to go

Mike

Own 71 dart running 18x8-5"backspace. With 245/40/18 nitto 555's. This is all that fiil fit on a stock dart with out movin springs or tubing.

I was wondering if i ran 245/60/r14s on the back of my 67 Barracuda if i would have clearance problems?

Depends on the backspacing of the wheels but the 67 Barracuda has more tire room just because the fenders don't come down so far on the outsides compared to the Darts and early A bodys

I have a 68 Barracuda with stock tubs and spring locations (No modifying done).

I just bought some Intro Wheels 17x8's all around, and run a 4.75" Backspacing in the rear, I am currently running 255/45/17's on the back (BFgoodrich geForce Sport) and have room for 275's but i couldn't find the right tire size in those same tires. That is the Max you can fit, with tight clearances, but it works.

I assume the Dart's are the same size in the rear? I don't know much about them... sorry!

i have a 73 Duster with an early B body rear in it. 1 in. wider the a normal
A body rear. I have 15x8 rims with 4 1/2 in. back spacing. I have 255/60-15 tires also. Fit in the stock wheel well with alot of room to spare.

I put 255 60 15 on my 68 Valiant with 4 1/2 bs with stock width A body rear width with offset hangers and shackles and I think there room for 275's. I'm not sure if the 68 Valiant and Dart rear wells are the same though.

Krazed, I would love to see some pics of your car with those wheels on it. Close up of all the clearance areas would be a huge bonus. Right now I am debating on wether to go for the fat/skinny route or , the 17-18 inch rim with low profiles all around for a better handling car.

The dart has the smallest rear wheel well because of the quarter panel that covers much of the top if the wheel. It isn't much bigger than the 66-67 b body which is really small for such a big car. I remember having 235 60 14 bfg's on my 67 dart conv. and there wasn't very much room left.

I have 15X10 in wheels with a 7.5 in backspacing on the wheels ,frame rails moved inside,mini tubbed and laerbar setup. Without major mods you are not going to get any wider than 15x10 in wheels on the rear.

Bobby Dodson

IMHO and experience with my 15x10 inch rims on my '72 Duster is the 10" width really limits the availability of tires that will fit on them and also have enough room in the wheel wells.

Before you decide on 10 inch width go check out the tire sizes you have in mind at: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTires.jsp

You'll see that most tires in the 255 to 265 sizes are not recommended for rims anything larger than an 8 inch rim. At best only one or two tire makers now make tires in those sizes that fit 10" wide rims. BFG makes a 265 that'll work on 10" wide rims but they SUCK if you need a tire for traction and are speed rated at 118 mph.

Another thing you'll find out, most tires in the 255 & 265 sizes for 15" rims will have low speed ratings.

-
Back