What are the symptoms of worn rockers?

-

SCOTT EVIL

Reaction score
Would the experts have experience of what the symptoms of a worn rocker arm bushing would be on the Slant 6? Lets say a worn bushing in the arm, or wear of the rocker shaft? Would it make noise all the time or just when hot or only for a few seconds when starting until oil pressure reaches it? How about valve clearance changes?
How long do the rocker bushing last normally?
I have 80K on mine, and while tracing abnormal valve train noise, I finally just grabbed the rocker on the running engine with pliers and tried twising it. I found it did twist alot on the shaft as if it had alot of clearance.

Also, I have to admit that I am now a converted man. I used to swear by not adjusting the valves with the engine running, but finally tried it on two of my slants and the results were much better noise and idle quality. There were only a few very small drops of oil that ever made it out of the valve train area. All the oil just dripped off the rocker arms as the engine was running. And, maybe adjusting the valves with the engine running changes the clearance due to the oil pressure making the rocker arm "float" in a different position on the shaft thus changing the clearance.

Anyway, if you have experience about rocker arms being worn out and what they do when worn, that would be great.
Thank you all !

Would the experts have experience of what the symptoms of a worn rocker arm bushing would be on the Slant 6? Lets say a worn bushing in the arm, or wear of the rocker shaft? Would it make noise all the time or just when hot or only for a few seconds when starting until oil pressure reaches it? How about valve clearance changes?
How long do the rocker bushing last normally?
I have 80K on mine, and while tracing abnormal valve train noise, I finally just grabbed the rocker on the running engine with pliers and tried twising it. I found it did twist alot on the shaft as if it had alot of clearance.

Also, I have to admit that I am now a converted man. I used to swear by not adjusting the valves with the engine running, but finally tried it on two of my slants and the results were much better noise and idle quality. There were only a few very small drops of oil that ever made it out of the valve train area. All the oil just dripped off the rocker arms as the engine was running. And, maybe adjusting the valves with the engine running changes the clearance due to the oil pressure making the rocker arm "float" in a different position on the shaft thus changing the clearance.

Anyway, if you have experience about rocker arms being worn out and what they do when worn, that would be great.
Thank you all !

if a rocker is worn it will be able to move off perpendicular in relation the the shaft. and as far as i know they are not bushed...

-
Back