What are these brackets for???

-

Slugfarm

Mostly Harmless
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the weird photo, but it's the best one I could get of this pair of brackets bolted and welded to the frame and sticking out from under the rear bumper on my mostly stock 65 Valiant. They don't show up in any manual I've looked at, and there wasn't a bumper guard option for this model year. They're sturdy little things- 1/4" thick- painted when the (second rate) repaint was done on the car long before I acquired it. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure the 175 Slant 6 it had didn't need wheelie bars....
tempImagei06MRH.png

As mentioned some sort of hitch mount, though you wouldn't want to haul much with tabs that light duty... May have been for a bicycle carrier...

That's what I would guess. Some kind of hitch mounts. Not factory for sure.

somebody already threw a guess at tabs to attach a bike carrier so i'm gonna go with they could be a mounting points for a shade canopy?

I'm trying to figure out something to do with them because removing them will be an epic hassle. They'd need to be cut out.

I suppose I could star riding a bike again. Or mount some skulls or something on them.:lol:

Attach a set of caster on them they'll look like wheelie bars. Or to prevent the bumper from scraping when your overloaded with the mother in law and her groceries.

Maybe one of those 10,000 watt light bars for extreme backing up.

They used to have a small trailer,that had two mounts like that and one swivel caster tire under the box.It turned with the car.weird!

wild! i know and have seen PAV trailers on vintage scooters but i didn't know such a thing existed for cars.

Sorry for the weird photo, but it's the best one I could get of this pair of brackets bolted and welded to the frame and sticking out from under the rear bumper on my mostly stock 65 Valiant. They don't show up in any manual I've looked at, and there wasn't a bumper guard option for this model year. They're sturdy little things- 1/4" thick- painted when the (second rate) repaint was done on the car long before I acquired it. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure the 175 Slant 6 it had didn't need wheelie bars....
View attachment 1716092891
Possible Spare Trunk trailer mounting. These had a single castering wheel that was easy to back up and gave a little extra carrying for camping with a compact or sub compact car.

-
Back