What are these markings ? (2017 ram)

-
Looks like your mechanics made a great choice with the "Sultans of Spark" Hemi replacement ignition coils.

Screenshot_20231230-172100_Gallery.jpg

Nice improvement of
Consistent 40,000 volts vs
stock coils at 30 - 35,000 volts that drop off under load.

SOS coil users are saying better throttle response and better fuel mileage with the new replacement coils.

Able to open up the spark plug gaps to .065 ths with the higher voltage coils. Coils are wound with heavier gauge wire too for less resistance, and holding voltage under load.

All good information to know.

Thanks

I thought about going that route, but i didnt want to invest the time in chasing it down like that

The truck is at 96K miles and the service interval for plugs is 100K, so they all had to be done anyway

The coils, i could not find a service interval for but I figured, they all have the same miles under the same conditions...kind of like bulbs, if one of them burns out, the other one usually isn't far behind

Plus, I liked the opportunity to go with some hotter coils to hopefully get a little bit better fuel mileage out of the truck
Did you keep the original coils for spares?
I have never seen a service interval on coils. Mine is a 2008 with 286,000 miles and still has the original coils. I am a little surprised it never had one go out yet.

Did you keep the original coils for spares?
I have never seen a service interval on coils. Mine is a 2008 with 286,000 miles and still has the original coils. I am a little surprised it never had one go out yet.
Yes, I have all 8 of them still

Maybe in the summer when I have time to play with the truck I can switch out a few of the old coils at a time, to see if one of them actually is bad, or if it was only the plugs

I'm still not sure about the markings on them, it looks suspicious to me

So I told you what the markings are from but yet your still not sure and they look suspicious to you. Why answer?????????
You mean post #11?

What do you make of the one coil having a clearly different mark then the other 7 ?

Yes, I have all 8 of them still

Maybe in the summer when I have time to play with the truck I can switch out a few of the old coils at a time, to see if one of them actually is bad, or if it was only the plugs

I'm still not sure about the markings on them, it looks suspicious to me

You will have to remember that you now have the 40,000 volt coils instead of the stock 30,000 volt coils.

Thinking if your mechanics did as Performance Distributor has recommended they opened up the new spark plugs to .065 ths to go with the higher voltage coils.

Now if you put one of the original coils back on top of that, the 30,000 volt coils are going to have a hard time jumping the wider .065 ths plug gap. Thinking the stock spark plug gap setting was .050 ths???

Thought there was a way to test the original coils outside of the vehicle to see if they are good or not.

It could have been a combination of 3 things that caused your misfire to begin with, as electricity follows the path of least resistance.

1. Spark Plugs had 90,000 miles on them and were ready for replacement.

2. Coil boots were starting to loose their flexibility and seal allowing moisture to get in helping the coil electrodes the ability to short to the ground of the head.

New replacement boots only are available for sale for this purpose to just replace the boots.

3. Coils are beginning to fail after 100,000 miles, exposure to any moisture helps this along. Also the water proof electrical connectors can become the source of a bad electrical connection, as Dielectric Grease is recommended at time of assembly. Pretty sure you won't see any Dielectric grease on the connector terminals of the original coils that they took out, they are probably dry.

That is why as you and your mechanics have done, was to replace the spark plugs, and the new coils with the new dual boots installed. Covering all the bases of the problem in one operation.

Those are high voltage systems where the coil charges can short to ground if not sealed correctly or there is contamination in the path.

Fussy stuff with these new vehicles.

Thanks

☆☆☆☆☆

Remember you have assemblers checking these things at 68 to 70 engines an hour, a double mark, a slip of the marker pen, or just getting bored so decided to do a little coloring who knows. You asked what the marks represent not how to tune up your truck like all the other comments.

I decided to pop the hood and check for bad connections first when i noticed these markings on my coilpacks

Any idea what they mean ?

View attachment 1716182767

Someone was probably diagnosing a misfire and marking coil packs as they went.

Thats a good point, ill see if one of them is missing a the mark

My first guess was that the coils had come frome a junkyard, they tend to mark their parts like that

Those markings could be from the factory...

If the coil pack supplier sent in a bad batch of coil packs to the factory and the engine plant caught them... And they will because they have an online test called 'cold test' where they spin the engine on a dry dyno where it isn't run with fuel, just spun dry to check certain parameters and map specific items, like oil pressure signature and spark to certify the quality of every engine. They can catch missing bearings, defective oil pump, missing oil squirt holes in the rods, too wide or closed gap spark plugs, defective spark plug wires, etc...

So if they caught more than 3 bad/defective parts, then the supplier is called in and the Supplier Quality guy 'spanks' the company for sending in bad parts. They then have to quarantine all of the potential defective parts in the factory and test them and certify they do not have the defect. Sometimes they can send people to the assembly plant to check the parts, if not the quarantined stock gets sent back to the supplier's manufacturing plant and they have to test and certify the parts and sort out all of the defective ones...

Meanwhile the parts that are currently coming off the supplier's line must be certified not to have that defect also... The supplier must come up with a corrective action and implement it to make sure that problem doesn't happen again and fill out all kinds of documentation for it....

All of the certified parts must be marked somehow, usually by a paint mark and the engine factory will be notified how they are marked (where on the part and what color paint mark is used for that particular issue)... The supplier can choose whatever color paint marker and location to mark the parts... The mark must be able to be easily seen so they know the parts were certified and ok to use...

They are allowed to use any color paint marker, except red or any color that may look red (like dark pink or dark orange) because a red paint or red mark on a part in an assembly plant is how they identify no good/scrap parts that are not to be used... All workers in an assembly plant are trained not to use a part with a red mark on it and if they find any defective parts to identify them with red paint and put them off to the side where they will not be used...

The supplier is required to mark the certified parts for all shipments for 90 days until they have proven that they have fixed the problem (established a clean point) and no more defective parts will get through... If the supplier gets caught violating the clean point by shipping more defective parts in during that time, the issue is escalated and they have to add a second inspection/sort to make sure all parts coming in are good and the second inspection will have its own paint mark in another color to signify it was inspected/tested twice for that defect since the original/first inspection didn't catch it and the 90 day clock is set back to zero...

This happens regularly in production, eventually a supplier will ship a bad part in and will have to certify their shipments until a clean point is established and maintained for 90 days, mistakes happen... After the 90 days of no defective parts getting shipped, the extra inspection/certification/marking can end...

This is why you may find paint marks on various parts in new cars...

However it is not a bad thing, because the parts with the marks on them have been certified to be of good quality....

Last edited:
Remember you have assemblers checking these things at 68 to 70 engines an hour, a double mark, a slip of the marker pen, or just getting bored so decided to do a little coloring who knows. You asked what the marks represent not how to tune up your truck like all the other comments.

Amateurs... :poke:

Our engine line built 156 engines per hour or 500,000 engines per year...

Hello Bob... :welcome:

or just getting bored so decided to do a little coloring who knows.

Back in the good ol' days at the engine factory, when the operator got bored, he would install the distributor over advanced on the 440 6 packs...

When it went through the hot test stand (they actually fired them up with gas back then), the engine would backfire out the center carb and shoot flames two stories high... They could see it from halfway down the engine assembly line...

Hey Karl Happy New Year. The example that I am using at 68-70 per hour is from an assembly plant perspective. If the defect is caught at the assembly plant audit per say an unlocked coil pack wire, then the assembly plant will hold their own audit to make sure that there are no more and that none will get shipped out to the dealerships. We only built 68-70 units per hour so that was all the engine line was required to check per hour, and yes the engine plant was required to send in a crew to inspect all the engines that were still in stock until that clean point was established.

Last edited:
I remember back in the good old days our fun came when the trucks were still carbureted. We would rev them up shut them off pump the accelerator pedal a few times and then just turn the key to the on position which would create a big boom backfire through the tailpipe and scare the HELL out of anyone nearby. It could be heard all over the plant and sometimes that particulator truck would get an identifying mark to change the muffler . Oh the good old days, what the new factory workers are missing.

Last edited:
Hey Karl Happy New Year. The example that I am using at 68-70 per hour is from an assembly plant perspective. If the defect is caught at the assembly plant audit per say an unlocked coil pack wire, then the assembly plant will hold their own audit to make sure that there are no more and that none will get shipped out to the dealerships. We only built 68-70 units per hour so that was all the engine line was required to check per hour, and yes the engine plant was required to send in a crew to inspect all the engines that were still in stock until that clean point was established.

Yep, I remember from my old truck plant days...

I miss those days....

How about the welding crash truck guy that had the convenient store in his crib... Best coffee in the plant... Pop, juices, water and every snack you could ever want....

Happy New Year back to you...

-
Back