What are they worth help?

-

dillon14

Reaction score
I previously posted this in the brakes section but I am hoping I can get some advise here with a few more viewers.

My original post read: "With the loads of parts that came with my 1968 Dart GTS 383 that I bought, I found these brake drum hubs. Does anyone know what they go to? I cleaned this one up a little."

The response and ID on the drums was: "Original rare factory A-body 8-3/4" 10" brake drums."

I am trying to resurrect a 1968 Dodge Dart GTS 383 4-speed car so if I can sell these and get cash that I can funnel back into my project, it will really help.

Also, on my Body Plate, there was a 4 under the A and nothing under the X indicating a non-posi 3:23.1 rear axle so I am assuming these drums, which I am not sure go on the front or back, did not come on my Dart.

Having said all of that, I would like to post these on eBay but really need a minimum dollar amount so I can set a reasonable reserve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Al in Maine
DSCN8725.jpg

DSCN8724.jpg

DSCN8723.jpg

DSCN8722.jpg

DSCN8721.jpg

DSCN8720.jpg

DSCN8719.jpg

DSCN8718.jpg

DSCN8717.jpg

DSCN8716.jpg

DSCN8715.jpg

DSCN8714.jpg

DSCN8713.jpg

Why set a reserve? I usually don't bother with a reserve, list my stuff for $.99 and just let it ride. The price will set itself that way. I've been screwed a few times with stuff selling for $.99, but it's rare for that to happen. Usually my stuff ends in a bidders war for outrageous money so I figure it all evens out.

I'm not opposed to that but still would like to know what the market value is.

Hard to set a market value-- you need to have the inside diameter measured -- to see if these are salvageable. 1 of your pictures shows max diameter-- how close to the max are these? Lawrence

Not sure if this is the photo you need but here it is:
DSCN8734.jpg

DSCN8732.jpg

you need to measure the drums with a brake drum micrometer rather than a tape measure :glasses7: just a thought

They're worth 50K a piece. Good grief. They're just a couple of rusted brake drums with the flanges. Put um on EBay, list a ad here and sell um and get it over with. Damn.

Here is my take and no offense, but they are brake drums which are a wearable item...you can get brake drums from napa, rock auto, pretty much anywhere. Yes they are the flared type, but I think that was just a design feature they were trying out. Simply put if you had a pair of them it might be worth it for someone local to come get them. shipping will probably kill any deal. Good luck

I guess some responses are puzzling to me as I've always found these forums a wealth of knowledge for those who are not experts in the field but novices trying to be experts like me. I'm not looking to make a killing on these hubs but simply started the thread because I didn’t even know what they went on. When it came back that they might be rare of course my thought was to possibly sell them to help finance the restoration of the Dart as I am not independently rich. I'm just a 61 year old muscle car lover who took on this project, as I have done with other projects in the past, because I did not want to see this Dart die a parting out death. I always seem to loose money but making money has never been my motive.

I'm really just looking for help not criticism or bashing.

Hopefully I wasn't too crude with this comment and be ostracized from asking questions in the future.

Hey dillon14, I hope you took no offense to my post....Ebay might be your best bet if you have a pair, as that will get you max exposure to a "purist". But they are a wearable item... I believe they were "flared" due to snow/slush/crap in winter conditions. Other than that I cant see why they were designed that way. If you have a micrometer, it will get you more accurate measurements. The value of them depends on how much meat is left on them. Hope that helps.....if useable advertise them for $50 for the pair????

I wasn't trying to offend....just liven it up a little. I just think it's funny somebody askin what old brake drums are worth. next thread you'll see somebody askin what their turds are worth. jes sayin. I mean if you really wanna find out the worth, stick um on EBay at 99 cents as recommended. They will bring what they are worth.

OK Dillon, heres the scoop with no poop!!! According to my brake "guru", they are "Canadian" drums from an A-body 8 3/4" rear with small bolt pattern and 1 3/4" shoes. The reason he calls these "canadian" drums is because they are flared, which according to him helps deflect the snow in the winter time. I have seen many of the flared style, and a few of the non-flared. They are not rare in the sence that most A-body 8 3/4" rears had them, and all 8 3/4" rears from A-bodies had either these or the non-flared drums. How rare they are is only in the eye of the buyer who needs them but can't find them.

I would suggest before you list them that you take them up to your local auto parts company and have them miked and include the I.D. in your description, if they are in fact turnable. I would also suggest that you blast them and paint them to maximize your selling potential. Heck, to get the most from them, have them turned also. In as-is condition $60.00-80.00 if they mike out, probably $100.00 if blasted and painted. Good luck with the sale, Geof

I have a pair just like um that are goin in the scrap pile after my BBP conversion. Anybody willin to pay shippin can have the things.

cosgig,

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. I think it is safe to say they will get tossed back in the pile for now. Enough said about them.

Al in Maine

-
Back