What are ways to check for headgasket leak

-

DART340

Reaction score
I keep having to add antifreeze to my car. I thought it was the heater core but I changed it and it still goes down. I fill it up and drive about 25 miles round trip and it goes down about a 1.5 inches. It is a smaller than stock aluminum radiator but cools just fine. There is no water in my oil and I have checked my plugs and they all look about the same. I am running cometic gaskets with aluminum heads and studs. Can I just retorque them or do you have to replace them like you would a normal gasket?

Run a compression test on it, if that doesnt show anything then run a leak down test on the cooling system, if that doesnt show anything then maybe you still have air pockets in the cooling system and they just havent burped out yet.

I would not see any problem with tightening them again. Does the fluid in the radiator have bubbles in it when the engine is running? Any wetness under the car from antifreeze blowing past it? You could try the powdered sealant to see if that slows it down or stops the leak altogether. A nameless car company used to do that for complaints of water usage in the cars...guessing porosity of the cylinder head. Just some thoughts, hope they help. Bob

Thanks guys, I haven't checked for bubbles, mostly cuz I had it fixed when I replaced the heater core. I will check that in the next couple of days.

Run some cooling system dye in your radiator. Drive it for a few days and check the oil on the dipstick and in the valve cover with a black light. If you see any dye, you know the deal. Now where it's comin from is another story.

-
Back