what are you guys using for plug wire

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
wanted to know what you guys are using for spark plug wire protectors around the exhaust manifolds. When I pulled the engine out the other day for the paint job, I had # 8 plug wire almost burnt in half. probably why the car has not been running like it should. I had 2 of the sock type insulators on it but hey must have separated and it must have been into the manifold. I thought there might be a better solution. This is on a 440 back on # 8 plug. Thanks.

I use the socks on mine with no issues, some of them are real close to the header. I think they are rated for around 1800 degrees or sumpin like that.

I've use MSD, they have been on my SB for ten years or more, still work and look like new !!

I am using socks now but the mistake I made was using 2 of them together where the wire goes back to the plug and going around the manifold I had to use 2 of them. I guess where they came together, they must have separated and right there is where it got me. I guess I will go back with both of them and this time I will somehow connect them together so that wont happen anymore. Thanks for the replies. I guess I have the best solution here just need to perfect it a little.

I am using 90* boots and straight boots and have no problems on the other 7 wires but the one that goes back to #8 I have a straight boot on it to get it out far enough to clear the exhaust manifold where it goes down. There isn't a lot of room in there. I had to go with 2 different exhaust manifolds on this engine to get the angle I needed to make the exhaust work. I think I can make it work this time.

I don't do headers. Personally, I wouldn't put on headers if you gave me a brand new set. just me.

Here is the problem I am having. had that is. Pic of the engine . look at back wire. I have it behind the manifold in the pic. just for the picture. it runs in the front. It has to get near the manifold. no way around it. I just purchased a 4 ' roll of the DEI sock from Summit. I needed 15 " from plug to the first separater. that should get me out of danger. No wonder I was having mis fire problems that was mentioned in one of my threads. was only running on 7 cyl. wire was all but in half. #8 wire usually runs in front of the manifold but there is only a couple of inches between the manifold and the inner fender so it had to be touching. I may just keep it behind the manifold if this Titanium sock from DEI is as good as it says.

Attachments

• DSC08428.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 282
Here is the problem I am having. had that is. Pic of the engine . look at back wire. I have it behind the manifold in the pic. just for the picture. it runs in the front. It has to get near the manifold. no way around it. I just purchased a 4 ' roll of the DEI sock from Summit. I needed 15 " from plug to the first separater. that should get me out of danger. No wonder I was having mis fire problems that was mentioned in one of my threads. was only running on 7 cyl. wire was all but in half. #8 wire usually runs in front of the manifold but there is only a couple of inches between the manifold and the inner fender so it had to be touching. I may just keep it behind the manifold if this Titanium sock from DEI is as good as it says.

It works well, just my 2 c you might want a 90 degree boot there.

Wire boot type shield? Hey what intake throttle cable bracket are you using?

throttle cable bracket is a Lokar. That way of routing the cables may work, but on the driver side the 2 going down the intake to the back would put those wires right on the manifold as I am running a hemi manifold on that side and it exits in the back, not the middle. will check it out though. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC08427.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 201
I know that it wouldn't look as good but didn't they run #8 plug wire on top of the valve cover and come in from the back???

I know that it wouldn't look as good but didn't they run #8 plug wire on top of the valve cover and come in from the back???

Some stock big blocks ran both #7 and #8 that way. You can run all of them over the top of the valve covers if you have straight boots and the right type of wire looms that attach to the bottom valve cover bolts. The looms keep the wires off the manifolds. Lots of early big blocks came that way from the factory.

What about a 90° boot on the #8 and run a longer plug wire down to the pan rail and clamp it with an adele clamp to keep it away from the head pipe?

problem solved. ordered a 4' roll of DEI insulation from Summit. put it on the wire from plug up to the first separater. shrink tubed both ends. should have no more problems burning this wire again.

When it starts missing again that plug wire is the first thing to check regardless of how good that insulator material is supposed to be.

-
Back