What Axel bearings are best vs. Green

-

MOPARTOYA

RGA68RB
Reaction score
For my 8 3/4 getting narrowed. It seems everyone is getting Green type bearings even mopar direct. I've been told that these are not good for long street use because of side preasure and the Green Type are more for strip use? The Barrell/ Tapered are better (Timken)? When ordering special length axel for example from Stange. They only seem to offer Green type in a package order. When you ask them if Barrell/ Tapered (Timken) will change the depth of the Axel going into housing, they can.t seem give an answer. And you can't seem to get an answer if Timken will even fit axel shaft? So how do you know what length of Axel to order unless it is Green Bearing. Hope this make sence. Simple solution??
Randy.

What kind of bearings do you think the factory is using nowadays
they are a sealed bearing. Just like the ( green bearings). Most
front wheel drives use this set up. I have green bearings in the
back of the Duster. Have taken long trips with it. 100 mi. plus.
I haven't had any problems.

Thanks you guys, I do have Greens Direct from Mopar on my stock Axels now. I got second Guessing from other people. Even a couple of them who have been in High HP for a while? You are right old myths. :thumbup:

While I don't think it's entirely a myth there is nothing wrong with the green bearings and I run them too. The old tapered bearing are a stronger and better design as far as taking horizontal forces but honestly I don't think you'll ever have a problem with the green bearings.....unless you are drifting or something and putting lots of side loading and if you are doing that the bearings and tires and things need to be inspected on a regular basis anyway.

Green Bearings will work fine in 99% of the applications. The 1% that I know of is circle track or any heavy side load type racing. The green bearing will not live in that application. The tapered roller bearings are the only thing that can handle the side loads generated in this application. Before anybody chimes in and calls BS, don't, I build circle track cars and rear ends and have tested both bearings. The green bearings have failed in less than a year in this application. Some aftermarket axle companies actually make a different axle for circle track applications which comes the Timkin bearing. Moser is one of the companies, I Moser also has an option for a Timken tapered bearing on their other axles. Also even though the green bearing is an acceptable replacement bearing it is a fact not a myth that a tapered roller bearing will handle a higher load than a ball bearing. This is why the roller bearing was invented. Cars used to use ball bearings in the front hubs then they were converted to tapered bearings in the late 50's because they could handle more load. The reason you can't take an axle designed for green bearings and put Timken bearings on it is because the axles aren't long enough to make contact on the axle cross shaft buttons so you can adjust the pre-load. The green bearing to fit a Mopar axle came to life because of using spools. There is no cross shaft in a spool to adjust pre-load so a different bearing was need that did not require adjusting.

You shouldn't have any worries running a green bearing on the street. Also you guys shouldn't try and sell the green bearing with un-truths, it makes you sound un-intelligent.

If there is a myth at all it would be that a green bearing is just as strong as a Timken tapered roller nearing.

Chuck

The myth is/was (and I've seen it parroted here) that green bearings were good for nothing but 1/4 mile.

Ace said:
The myth is/was (and I've seen it parroted here) that green bearings were good for nothing but 1/4 mile.

That would be a myth. It was mainly designed for drag racing because of the spool issue but it has shown that is works well on the street also.

Chuck

-
Back