What bellhousing do I need?

-

72DailySwinger

Reaction score
Current setup is an ‘84 D100 shortbed. 225 /6 with the A833 4spd manual.
I’m looking to remove/swap the /6 with a early 70s model LA318 but wanting to keep my 833 4spd.
I can’t find a for sure answer on exactly what bellhousing and flywheel I need. And any other information I may need to know.
Any help is very, very much appreciated as I’ve already bought the motor. And this is my daily driven truck.

74F57F5B-EF72-4CBB-A641-B8893156F319.jpeg

Is it an overdrive 4 spd.? That takes a different bell(larger frt. brg. retainer bore). There are a couple SB bells that would work if non-OD, I used a 340 flywheel on My 'teener w/a 10.5"disc & pressure plate for a 383 Charger, the bellcrank/bracket may need to be sourced from a tk. though. Would be interest for the old bell here.
P.S. You can use the Magnum era pilot brg. that presses into the converter hub bore of the crank, much better option.

Is it an overdrive 4 spd.? That takes a different bell(larger frt. brg. retainer bore). There are a couple SB bells that would work if non-OD, I used a 340 flywheel on My 'teener w/a 10.5"disc & pressure plate for a 383 Charger, the bellcrank/bracket may need to be sourced from a tk. though. Would be interest for the old bell here.
P.S. You can use the Magnum era pilot brg. that presses into the converter hub bore of the crank, much better option.
It's an OD if it's original.

:eek::eek:Kinda figgurd, and neither one of Us has tried to talk the OP out of swapping, here of all places!!!

:eek::eek:Kinda figgurd, and neither one of Us has tried to talk the OP out of swapping, here of all places!!!
What for? If he wants to do something he'll regret, let him do it. I'm tired of tryin to convince people they already have somethin cool.

Why would he regret it? Sure the /6 is one of most reliable motors ever but power wise? Every /6 truck that I've owned couldn't pass a 68 VW bug going up hill. Had a couple /6 B bodies and they couldn't pass a VW van goin up hill. That is pretty sad. An A body is the only thing I'd have a /6 in. There I said it.
Finding all the cool bolt on happy **** for the /6 is getting hard to find.

No matter which one he uses, he still needs to make sure the crank is drilled, or he will not have clearance for the input shaft; or will need to have the input shortened.

Why would he regret it? Sure the /6 is one of most reliable motors ever but power wise? Every /6 truck that I've owned couldn't pass a 68 VW bug going up hill. Had a couple /6 B bodies and they couldn't pass a VW van goin up hill. That is pretty sad. An A body is the only thing I'd have a /6 in. There I said it.
Finding all the cool bolt on happy **** for the /6 is getting hard to find.
Because I said so. That's why. lol

What do you mean all the cool happy ****? Hell, finding slant sixes themselves is getting tougher to find. All the time.

Sorry guys. Although I love the slant six, I daily drive this truck, in a city full of reckless assholes (Raleigh, Nc). I just prefer the power to get along with traffic, than a cool factor.
I plan on selling the motor (runs great) and all the aftermarket parts I haven’t even put on it yet.

28679108-85E0-43FF-8308-CF8F86FDC822.jpeg

27A9E050-AB0B-4CA3-AC53-E59192F520DC.jpeg

F85AC3FA-7D4E-4AD7-BD54-7F2F7FA5F328.jpeg

D81E71C8-EA7B-4665-B8AE-6179AF36A76A.jpeg

489255DB-A61E-4A0E-A1E8-6D972B018548.jpeg

34DBC79F-143A-43CD-B1A7-6388AAC35B77.jpeg

How is your truck geared?
I had a 72 Demon 225 /6 automatic. While driving at highway speed, I could feel the ac compressor cycle on and off. Best I remember, it had a 2.xx axle gear. Pitiful. Fast forward to 2005. I bought a new Dodge Ram 3.7 V6, six speed, with 6th gear being overdrive, with 3.21 rear, and 31" tall tires. Ok around town but at highway speeds, even the slightest up hill grade and I would be dropping a gear. And the transmission seemed like very wide jumps between gears. Again, pitiful. Got a chance to get a 4.56 geared Dana 60 from a Ram SRT10. Put that in and WOW! What a difference. My little V6 came to life. And the drop between gears seems much closer. I get 80mph at 3000rpm. Not bad . I think 70mph is about 2650 rpm. And when I mash on it now, it goes. Even in Raleigh traffic.
Just thought to add... my Ram weighs nearly 5000 lbs, and my 3.7 only has around 215hp, not the 300hp V6 that came next.

Last edited:
Sorry guys. Although I love the slant six, I daily drive this truck, in a city full of reckless assholes (Raleigh, Nc). I just prefer the power to get along with traffic, than a cool factor.
I plan on selling the motor (runs great) and all the aftermarket parts I haven’t even put on it yet.

View attachment 1715851718

View attachment 1715851719

View attachment 1715851720

View attachment 1715851721

View attachment 1715851722

View attachment 1715851723

There ya go. All the happy ****.

No matter which one he uses, he still needs to make sure the crank is drilled, or he will not have clearance for the input shaft; or will need to have the input shortened.
I've never seen a 'teener of that era without the pilot hole drilled, they just don't finish sizing them for the press-fit style bushing, if it's destined for an auto trans. I had to turn the OD down on the bushings for both 'teeners I put in the Thunderbooger, in the '80's, the convienence of the non-existant Magnum eng. brg. wasn't an option.

I've never seen a 'teener of that era without the pilot hole drilled, they just don't finish sizing them for the press-fit style bushing, if it's destined for an auto trans. I had to turn the OD down on the bushings for both 'teeners I put in the Thunderbooger, in the '80's, the convienence of the non-existant Magnum eng. brg. wasn't an option.
Agreed, it's rare if they're not at least rough bored; but you still need to check. It only takes a minute. Heck, it may already have a pilot bushing in it, but at least you'll know.

View attachment 1715851718

View attachment 1715851719

View attachment 1715851720

View attachment 1715851721

View attachment 1715851722

View attachment 1715851723
I understand, there are situations where You don't have time to grab a gear, & need to have the torque to pedal ahead.....
Well, I can't help w/part #s, but the OD trans will need the 5.125" hole('76 and up) truck bell.
I'm sure You'll have a market here & the Slant Six .org forum for the parts. Are those headers painted or hot-coated?

I understand, there are situations where You don't have time to grab a gear, & need to have the torque to pedal ahead.....
Well, I can't help w/part #s, but the OD trans will need the 5.125" hole('76 and up) truck bell.
I'm sure You'll have a market here & the Slant Six .org forum for the parts. Are those headers painted or hot-coated?
They are jet coated. Along with the super six intake manifold

-
Back