What BRAND gears are my fellow Mopar guys liking?

-

CultClassik

Reaction score
Back in the day I always used Richmond - seems like there's more selection now. Anyway, I picked up a really nice 8-1/4 rear end, all rebuilt with aftermarket posi and 4:56 gears used in a drag only car.

I just need to swap the gears out to a more friendly 3:55. This car will never see slicks or any real drag suspension, I've got super stock springs and an adjustable pinion snubber that will go in with this axle, that's it... although it will likely get a more stout engine in the next year or so.

Based on that, what's the best bang for my buck? I've seen the Excel gears from Richmond but they seem too affordable to be true..

I have used 3 different sets of Richmond Gears (which I heard were recently bought out by Motive Gear) and were always happy with them.

Currently I have a set of Motive gear 3.73's and have no complaints. They look to be the same as Richmonds but in a different box-I was even able to use the same thickness shims for my solid pinion spacer that I had with the Richmond gears that i was replacing.

When I was looking to buy gears I googled the part number and found the cheapest place online(I think it was NationalDrivetrain.com) and Summit Racing beat that price by I believe 5% plus included free shipping and handling. I paid less than $175 shipped to my house.

I've heard all kinds of crap about Motive being noisy etc but as with anything there's plenty of good stories also.

That price is crazy good, Jegs is selling the same for like $300!!!

I may go with that - thanks!

No problem!
I read the stories about noise too but, knock on wood, mine have been quiet for the 1000 miles I've had them in. And I talked to one guy that has over 100 empty Motive boxes from all the sets he's installed through his shop in the last few years and he said he's never had 1 issue. My guess is its all in the setup.

Jegs sucks. Everytime I've ordered from them in the last 2 years they put my stuff on back order. They'll say for 2-3 days, but 3 weeks later and still being on back order I call Summit and everything is in stock, and cheaper!
Jegs was going to do the price match but still wanted to charge handling charges. The price match was around $20 cheaper through Summit.

-
Back