What cam are you running?

-

MoparChic71

Mopar Lover
Reaction score
It's time for me to pick a cam and I was curious to see what everyone else has. What is the setup...carbs, 4 speed or auto, cam specs, single or dual exhaust, ignition etc. Show off your modded slant! :)

If you can tell us a bit more about your engine and what else you plan to do to it, it would help

Streep/strip
2850lbs w/o me 68 dart SS
235" motor
10:1 static 7.8 dynamic compression
246 @ .050 106LSA Erson Solid
TF904 Reverse VB and Edge 3500 stall 9.5"(for now)
750 Holley 3310 Vac Secondary
MSD streetfire box with blaster coil and Autolite 65's
4.88 gears with a 28" slick

14.25 @ 91.8mph w/ a 1.91 60' PB so far with a bad miss and other issues

I had the head milled .090. Bigger stainless 1.70 in 1.44 out valves with hardened seats and bronze guides. Will be a Holley 390cfm 4bbl on a Weiand aluminum intake. Hooker 3×2 long tube headers with or without resonators. 904 automatic with the Lokar kickdown setup. Pertronix ignition and a peanut 7.25 rear like most. I was hoping all that would put me near 225hp on premium gas??? I was looking into a cam kit from comp cams but there isn't many choices. :)

Oh and it has solid lifters and forged bottom end (68 slant engine). I'll be using the stock pistons.

I had the head milled .090. Bigger stainless 1.70 in 1.44 out valves with hardened seats and bronze guides. Will be a Holley 390cfm 4bbl on a Weiand aluminum intake. Hooker 3×2 long tube headers with or without resonators. 904 automatic with the Lokar kickdown setup. Pertronix ignition and a peanut 7.25 rear like most. I was hoping all that would put me near 225hp on premium gas??? I was looking into a cam kit from comp cams but there isn't many choices. :)

Oh and it has solid lifters and forged bottom end (68 slant engine). I'll be using the stock pistons.

Well .090 is a good start! you need to take a piston to deck height measurement (how far the piston is below the deck of the block) then using your head gasket specs (bore/thickness(Steel is .021 and felpro's are .037)) and combustion chamber volume(cc's) you can figure compression. if your running 91oct and a street cam you'll probably be in the 9.5:1 area but thats not for sure till you get the cam.

I run the same headers, i would be running a dual 2" exh or dual 2" into a single 2.5" for a basic street car. That rear will last for awhile if you keep your foor out of it, but a 8.25 would be awesome and has 4.5" pattern

DONT RUN THE COMP CAMS, they nitride harden the cams which is much harder than the oil pump gears. I.E. the oil pump gear fails and you lose the motor in almost all cases. Call OCG (oregon cam grinders) for a regrind, cheaper and better. What do you want the car to do? you say 225 hp but is what wheel or crank? do you want mpg or a weekend warrior?

need lots of info about where everything is NOW and what you plan to do

This is my cam spec in a 408 stroker Camshaft Specs:
Flat Tappet Cam
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 241 Intake / 247 Exhaust
Lift: .545'' Intake / .545'' Exhaust
Lobe Seperation: 110°

This is my cam spec in a 408 stroker Camshaft Specs:
Flat Tappet Cam
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 241 Intake / 247 Exhaust
Lift: .545'' Intake / .545'' Exhaust
Lobe Seperation: 110°

read the forum section

Streep/strip
2850lbs w/o me 68 dart SS
235" motor
10:1 static 7.8 dynamic compression
246 @ .050 106LSA Erson Solid
TF904 Reverse VB and Edge 3500 stall 9.5"(for now)
750 Holley 3310 Vac Secondary
MSD streetfire box with blaster coil and Autolite 65's
4.88 gears with a 28" slick

14.25 @ 91.8mph w/ a 1.91 60' PB so far with a bad miss and other issues
What octane fuel are you running in that Ed? Will it do pump gas?

Well .090 is a good start! you need to take a piston to deck height measurement (how far the piston is below the deck of the block) then using your head gasket specs (bore/thickness(Steel is .021 and felpro's are .037)) and combustion chamber volume(cc's) you can figure compression. if your running 91oct and a street cam you'll probably be in the 9.5:1 area but thats not for sure till you get the cam.

I run the same headers, i would be running a dual 2" exh or dual 2" into a single 2.5" for a basic street car. That rear will last for awhile if you keep your foor out of it, but a 8.25 would be awesome and has 4.5" pattern

DONT RUN THE COMP CAMS, they nitride harden the cams which is much harder than the oil pump gears. I.E. the oil pump gear fails and you lose the motor in almost all cases. Call OCG (oregon cam grinders) for a regrind, cheaper and better. What do you want the car to do? you say 225 hp but is what wheel or crank? do you want mpg or a weekend warrior?

need lots of info about where everything is NOW and what you plan to do

The deck to piston clearance didn't change from stock since I only milled the head (i heard you can mill the block too) but I know what you meant. I want to use the steel head gasket but I don't know where to get one, all I ever found (so far) was the felpro aftermarket kind. I want a good street car that will see the track only occasionally. The car is my daily driver but I can deal with it idling rough (my super six does already) so long as it stays running and gets atleast 15mpg. With the headers I was going to make it 2" dual with both pipes coming out in front of the driver tire or two on the drivers side out the back. Thanks for the advise especially the stuff about the oil drive gear. :)

The deck to piston clearance didn't change from stock since I only milled the head (i heard you can mill the block too) but I know what you meant. I want to use the steel head gasket but I don't know where to get one, all I ever found (so far) was the felpro aftermarket kind. I want a good street car that will see the track only occasionally. The car is my daily driver but I can deal with it idling rough (my super six does already) so long as it stays running and gets atleast 15mpg. With the headers I was going to make it 2" dual with both pipes coming out in front of the driver tire or two on the drivers side out the back. Thanks for the advise especially the stuff about the oil drive gear. :)

when i had the 3.91 gears my dart (as posted) for 20mpg on the drive from phx to vegas, 65mph at 3000rpm.

When you bore and install new stock pistons get deeper in the hole, at least the speedpro's i ran did. Personally i would never mill off the head after building my motor, but life and learn. Charlie_S has the steel shim gaskets.

Here is the dart with dual 2.25 thru Dynomax X pipe muffler when it was a little 9.5:1 motor

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pviXVh2Uaq0"]68 dodge Dart - YouTube[/ame]

and then dual 2.25 into single 3" thru super 44, 10:1 motor (Gopro)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ92UCIjtfc"]First Dart Vid With New GoPro Black!! - YouTube[/ame]

thats my best friend in the beginning lol...

Email Dave Crower at Crower cams. Or call the number on the top of the web page and ask for Dave Crower.

https://www.crower.com/

He made a custom grind cam for my ex's slant six when we rebuilt it a few years ago. It was a stock 64 slant with single exhaust and single barrel carb. He made a custom ground 260° duration with .490" lift. It ran great and she is happy with it.

Tell Dave what you plan to build, and he will make you a nice custom cam. He doesn't list any on his site as they are not high sellers, but he will be glad to make you one.

Email Dave Crower at Crower cams. Or call the number on the top of the web page and ask for Dave Crower.

He made a custom grind cam for my ex's slant six when we rebuilt it a few years ago. It was a stock 64 slant with single exhaust and single barrel carb. He made a custom ground 260° duration with .490" lift. It ran great and she is happy with it.

Tell Dave what you plan to build, and he will make you a nice custom cam. He doesn't list any on his site as they are not high sellers, but he will be glad to make you one.

probably where my next cam is coming from

Hay Ed, find her the specs on that reverse grind Erson that Frank designed. That would be perfect for her, IMO.

Hay Ed, find her the specs on that reverse grind Erson that Frank designed. That would be perfect for her, IMO.

i never really got to talk to frank about that cam... but im still a believer that if you cant get it in your sunk...

Ok...whatever that means. lol

Ok...whatever that means. lol

As you know the slant head sucks, getting the charge in is always less than ideal. So why run a cam with less intake than exhaust? its just a fragment of what it was anyways before it went it.

I think I will contact Crowler. I wanted the lifters springs timing chain together but if it's not a huge difference then I'd rather go that route then it's custom. Is your gf's car an automatic? I was looking at a 263° duration 440 lift cam but certain cams aren't good for autos (like the hyper pak cam was only manual or high stall )

805moparkid i like the setup, the car sounds awesome! I was thinking of the two side pipes like that first video. Does your car have a name? :)

I think I will contact Crowler. I wanted the lifters springs timing chain together but if it's not a huge difference then I'd rather go that route then it's custom. Is your gf's car an automatic? I was looking at a 263° duration 440 lift cam but certain cams aren't good for autos (like the hyper pak cam was only manual or high stall )

Not gf, ex wife.... :banghead:

Yes, it was a 64 Dart with a 225. She's pretty happy with the cam that Dave made for her. Just tell him what you plan to do with it, and he will come up with a nice cam for you.

As you know the slant head sucks, getting the charge in is always less than ideal. So why run a cam with less intake than exhaust? its just a fragment of what it was anyways before it went it.

The exhaust side is where the help is needed bud. Look at the ports.

-
Back