What camshaft should I use?

-
You need to see the data for yourself. It's all part of the diagnosis. ....and I would WANT accurate diagnosis BEFORE I spent money on a new camshaft, or anything else.

I agree. I will be saving up for some tools I need. In the mean time I will see if I can rent what I need.

I have advanced timing and the fuel economy has cracked 11mpg which is actually an improvement. Unfortunately the distributor needs to have the tab re oriented to allow for more timing.

I have advanced timing and the fuel economy has cracked 11mpg which is actually an improvement. Unfortunately the distributor needs to have the tab re oriented to allow for more timing.

Yup your going in the right direction mess with that bottom tab until she cant take it no more, , set it back go for a ride then listen for pinging retard according. try to get into the 12-15 base timing range.

Also, I recommend going over your method for calculating mileage. not sayin you're stupid......just double check it. Real mileage calculation is an average of many calculations, not just one and done. It sounds like from your description that is is using a good bit of gas and it's not just the numbers. I would double and triple check anyway, just to be sure. We're only human, after all.

Also, have you inspected the timing chain for slack? Very easy to do and that can have a huge effect on mileage. Simply pop the cap off. Pull #1 plug out, Bring the engine up on #1 compression stroke and line up the marks on the balancer with the pointer to zero. Make sure the last direction you turn the engine is clockwise lining the marks up. Now, rotate the engine counter clockwise until you JUST see the distributor rotor begin to turn. Put a mark on the balancer at zero on the pointer. Rotate it back clockwise until you realign the factory balancer mark with the zero on the point and now calculate how many degrees there are between the zero mark on the pointer and the mark you made on the balancer when you rotated the engine counter clock wise. This number is how much slop there is in the timing chain. I don't know what's acceptable and what's not, but I would certainly think 5* or more at the crank would be too much. Of course, "less" is better.

10mpg thats no good my 318 gets 15mpg with 3.55s i would check your base timing first and limit the initial with FBO limiter plate and mr.gasket spring kit Slant six like timing.

Once you figure all that out ,on your camshaft i would go with this nice little bump up High torque low Rpm Power Band Howards Cams Mechanical Flat Tappet Camshafts 751082-12

I’m still considering my options if it needs a replacement.
Also, have you inspected the timing chain for slack? Very easy to do and that can have a huge effect on mileage. Simply pop the cap off. Pull #1 plug out, Bring the engine up on #1 compression stroke and line up the marks on the balancer with the pointer to zero. Make sure the last direction you turn the engine is clockwise lining the marks up. Now, rotate the engine counter clockwise until you JUST see the distributor rotor begin to turn. Put a mark on the balancer at zero on the pointer. Rotate it back clockwise until you realign the factory balancer mark with the zero on the point and now calculate how many degrees there are between the zero mark on the pointer and the mark you made on the balancer when you rotated the engine counter clock wise. This number is how much slop there is in the timing chain. I don't know what's acceptable and what's not, but I would certainly think 5* or more at the crank would be too much. Of course, "less" is better.

I have checked and it seems to be alright. I will go and mark it up w some paint or something on Sunday, weather permitting.

There are plans to do all 3 engine mounts, a front crank seal and a water pump as well.

Last edited:
Yup your going in the right direction mess with that bottom tab until she cant take it no more, , set it back go for a ride then listen for pinging retard according. try to get into the 12-15 base timing range.

currently running 5°BTC I will try to bump it to 8° or 10° and see what happens.

currently running 5°BTC I will try to bump it to 8° or 10° and see what happens.
Cool yeah if you have stock compression bump it up to 12-15 range back it off when you hear it ping and repeat , FBO limiter plate will help you take timing out of the dizzy and allow more initial with out ping and change that heavy spring out with a light MR.Gasket mopar spring. Mpg and H.p Gain will come hand in hand.

I put a super six on a stock motor i felt a bump in performance ran really good although mileage dropped not much though, but i also recurved a dizzy and felt the same increase and mileage went up. Cheaper as well

Cool yeah if you have stock compression bump it up to 12-15 range back it off when you hear it ping and repeat , FBO limiter plate will help you take timing out of the dizzy and allow more initial with out ping and change that heavy spring out with a light MR.Gasket mopar spring. Mpg and H.p Gain will come hand in hand.

I put a super six on a stock motor i felt a bump in performance ran really good although mileage dropped not much though, but i also recurved a dizzy and felt the same increase and mileage went up. Cheaper as well

It’s a very well preserved survivor, and I’ve never had an issue with power from the 1BBL in most cases so I will likely keep that. My last Dart was also a 225 with an automatic.

I will look into the distributor springs.

-
Back