What can I do to remove these bolts???

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
I've got two 7/16 bolts holding what looks like an aluminum plate on the back of my 383. These bolts are recessed in the plate and the plate keeps me from putting the torque to the rear main bearing so I can pull the crank. They look to be rounded and I can't get a socket on them. Recession is only wide enough to get the socket in, and no more. Anyone run into this before? Previous owner may have rounded them, but this is my first 383 tear down and this has got me stopped dead in my tracks.

12 point socket ....if they are rounded ...huge problem ...are they accessable so you can put pressure down while turning it?

Attachments

• CIMG1588.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 294
Rock On! the recession had me fooled that the bolts were 7/16. Big thanks for posting that RaniDart. You're my hero. The crank comes out tonight.

if they are rounded off , you can take a 10 or 11 MM 12 point (I forget which one is slightly smaller than the 3/eights and tap it on with a hammer and then get a wratchet on it.

I remember having to buy a 12pt socket especially for these as my regular 12pt set didnt have a thin enough wall (outer diameter) to get down into the recess... needless to say I wasnt happy about having to buy yet another tool outside of a set to misplace.

my favorite on rounded off heads is using a very small pipe wrench. the little ones about 4or 5 inches long. they will grip and remove a rounded off bolt no problem

penetrating oil helps (probably not in your case though) and a couple light taps with a small hammer square on the end of the bolt seems to help at times. not hard. light taps.

-
Back