What can I expect from this engine?

-

Retroboy

Reaction score
Just finished my first Mopar - 360 + .040 KB190 pistons, Racer Brown ST 21 solid cam, Std "J" heads but with 1.96 & 1.60 valves,decent springs and 273adjustable rocker gear. Also has an old Vertex magneto and a toilet style mechanical injector. It's a very basic budget deal and will be running methanol in a slingshot dragster -904 TF 4800 stall converter, 4.30 gears and a 31" slick.Read a few books looked at the web - including some here, and applied a life times experience and I hope it works out OK. Ready to fire this thing up for the first time in a week or so. What can I expect from this?
Cheers

FUN!!

hope it gets you the times you want ,Lawrence

No idea , but it sure sounds like it will be fast . Why did you go with the small valves ?

A lighter bank account.

Hi Retroboy, your combo should be easy high 10's depending on track and traction. Alcohol allows you to use much higher compression without detonation. There is no advantage to it otherwise. Junkyard motors in f.e.d. should be in the 11's. Good luck/kill the tree. "It's wicked hahd in Na Hampsha, ehya."

Thanks all. I expectin' to go real fast. About 30 years ago (or more) I had a slingshot dragster that was powered by 302 Ford Windsor from a smashed station wagon. The speedo of the wreck showed 120,000 miles so you could call it well run in. I had a second hand Sig Erson hyd cam, standard worn out heads and springs, a Torquer manifold and a second hand 650 vac secondary carb. With a 28 inch tall slick and 4.11 gears I got down to 10.2's. Now I'm older and wiser and having jumped on to the Mopar band wagon I reckon I've got my sights on high eights.
Cheers

-
Back