What can I seal oil based paint with?

-

OrangeTwister

Reaction score
I have oil based spray paint in an otherwise beautifully done engine compartment.

I need to know some opinions of what can be used to seal it so automotive paint can be used.

I know most of you are going to say "It can't be done", "I would never do that", "Take it down to bare metal"

Removing to paint isn't going to happen, it's getting sealed with something. Epoxy primer is supposed to seal off the existing surface, but I'm wondering if anyone has done it.

I have read that you can use Epoxy over non automotive paint such as Chassis Saver if you scuff it up, and that's primarily on oil paint right?

Are there other pure sealers that can be used?

The stuff I need to seal is gloss rustoleum "stops rust" spray paint over rustoleum rust reformer.

I've shot 5 star 2k urethane primer over rustoleum with no problems.

Thanks! Just for grins I thought I'd go looking for rejection so I called 5 Star. The guy I spoke to said he wouldn't do it with anything they sell, BUT If I wanted to do it I could get a waterborne sealer and then I could put whatever I wanted on top....
Just sayin....

you could always do a small test area. mix a small amount and even brush it on to test.

I'm sure your urethane primer and whatever you put on top is fine.
I'll bet epoxy would be ok too.
But the waterborne makes a ton of sense

How long has the Rustoleum been on there? I painted my whole car with Rustoleum, waited a couple months and then put a top coat of clear on it.
C

Two year old Rustoleum .Did simple body filler touch up,wet sanded with 320 wet. Hit with Wally World 1.52 a can enamel(three coats,dry overnight). Wet with 500 grit/wet sand/dish soap, feathered beautiful....

Attachments

• IMG_20140531_164250.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 244
OK, so here's the deal according to Southern Polyurethanes.
Since I have Rustoleum "stops rust" spraypaint over their "Rustreformer" converter-primer, This area cant ever be totally sealed with anything, and here's why.
The surface of the steel needs to breathe, and it can through the primer and the oil based enamel. If you stop its ability to breathe, they have documented situations where the steel disintegrated through the back side. Their recommendation is that if the color and quality is suitable ( and it is) wet sand it and coat it with any acrylic clear and call it a day.
So that's what's going to happen.
I like sleazy and easy...

This might help finishing it:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qPJTTRWttQ"]How to paint your car with Rustoleum. The right way. - YouTube[/ame]

Since I have Rustoleum "stops rust" spraypaint over their "Rustreformer" converter-primer, This area cant ever be totally sealed with anything, and here's why.
The surface of the steel needs to breathe, and it can through the primer and the oil based enamel. If you stop its ability to breathe, they have documented situations where the steel disintegrated through the back side. Their recommendation is that if the color and quality is suitable ( and it is) wet sand it and coat it with any acrylic clear and call it a day.

We Jersey boys need to stick together!

SOoooo, are the southern boys saying using a rust convertor and oil base emamel over that will be fatal!!??????? ( those snaggaled tooth wonders on "Deliverance" were my second cousins twice removed!!???

Sounds like it's fatal if you seal it with epoxy or urethane.
If you leave the the rustoleum without a sealer your good to go...
I think I hear someone pickin a banjo...

I'm not a paint expert by any stretch. I like SPI epoxy. I like reading about paint tech.
I mean no disrespect but I have a hard time making sense of that explanation.
Might just be my ignorance.

I too have no claim to being paint expert, BUT I don't follow the explanation of how paint has to "breath"? I thought the whole idea is to keep oxygen away from metal ( iron). iron exposed to oxygen in presence of moisture ( water) causes metal to from rust" iron oxide (rust)// //???????
O K so I took all my chemistry courses over twice> LOL really

-
Back