What can you tell me about this rearend?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
Aaron and I finally cracked open the 8-1/4" rearend we planned to swap into his '74 Duster that is under construction. Here is what we found:

2978631876_d521ffd1aa_o.jpg

There wasn't any oil and a couple of bolts inside were loose. Its seems that a previous owner had been doing something in there, but I don't know what. I know absolutely very little about what's inside a differential, so here are a few questions:

1. Are there any good books or manuals on Chrysler rearends, similar to the one I bought for rebuilding the 727 Torqueflite transmission?

2. Does this number that is stamped in the ring gear tell me something about the ratio? 2852938-3.2 9 18 72 2

3. If the number doesn't reveal the gear ratio, can I determine it by turning axles or what?

4. What are tell-tale signs of wear or damage I can look for?

Thanks for any help,
Jerry

That is a non-sure grip open rear end. You can tell the gear ratio by marking the pinion and case in the same location, then marking on of the ring gear teeth. Rotate the pinion and count how many times it turns to make one full revolution of the ring gear.This will give you an idea. ( 2:76, 3:23, 3:55 etcc..))

-
Back