What car do I need to pull a diff from to put under my 74 Dart Swinger?

-

SwinginDart74

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just bought myself a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger, has no diff, I know I want a 8.25 or a 8.75, what cars had these size diffs and don't require shortening axels or housings? I was told something like a chrysler 5th avenue would work?> Am new to this game, hope someone can point me in the right direction..

thanx very much in advance,

p.s. beautiful site!

Any 7.25, 8.25 or 8.75 rear end from a '67 to '76 A body (Duster, Demon, Scamp, Dart, Dart Sport, Valiant, Barracuda) will bolt in with no welding, shortening, etc required. The 8.75 rear ends tho will be the hardest and most expensive one to find... better off looking for a 8.25 if you're not putting 500+hp to the ground. Unless you need a rear end quick (or for free) do not pick up a 7.25.

H22A4 is right but before you hunt for a rearend get the Bolt pattern that you want. You could have a 4" or 4.5 in that 74 Dart. I would also try for a 8 1/4 weather you have a /6 or V8.

thanx a bunh guys, now the question is which pattern is the more common bolt pattern for aftermarket rims?

and what are the pros and cons of the 2?

and of course, what are your recommendations?

Plus on my budget 350HP is pretty much my limit

Don't sleep on 90's model square Jeep Cherokees. They come with 3.55 gears and are just about the same length as B bodies if I'm correct. The only problem would be putting on new spring perches and cutting off the Jeep shock mounts. The front track on A bodies is 57". Rear track is 55".

:munky2:HI guys can i tell what type of clutchs are in my diff if the case is a 741 cone or spring ????? (LIMETWIST)

74 Duster will have the 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern, stick with that as your front end is allready that pattern. Rims are much more available for the large bolt circle.

:munky2:HI guys can i tell what type of clutchs are in my diff if the case is a 741 cone or spring ????? (LIMETWIST)

Could have either, after all these years most rears were swapped out, changed or altered. Post a picture of it and you'll get an answer.

-
Back