What causes fuel spitback?

-

Georgesee

Reaction score
i have an A100 slant six pickup. Two times now after driving, fuel is spitting out from the filler neck. This doesn't happen when filling the tank only while or after driving the truck. Once while I was at a stoplight and a guy told me my truck was spitting out gas, another after a short 5 mile drive and parked in my driveway with the engine shut off. I noticed the drops of gas leaking from the gas cap both times. When I released the cap, the gas gushed out. Not sure why this is happening and wonder if anyone knows the cause. Thanks

i have an A100 slant six pickup. Two times now after driving, fuel is spitting out from the filler neck. This doesn't happen when filling the tank only while or after driving the truck. Once while I was at a stoplight and a guy told me my truck was spitting out gas, another after a short 5 mile drive and parked in my driveway with the engine shut off. I noticed the drops of gas leaking from the gas cap both times. When I released the cap, the gas gushed out. Not sure why this is happening and wonder if anyone knows the cause. Thanks
Look at all the lines connected to your tank. One will be a supply line and hopefully there is a fuel vent line. Some vehicles had vent lines attached to the filler neck itself. Try to find the vent line (if it has one) and ensure it is not plugged. If you have no vent line, get yourself a vented cap.

is your tank vented? maybe the line is pinched causing the tank to build pressure?

Look at all the lines connected to your tank. One will be a supply line and hopefully there is a fuel vent line. Some vehicles had vent lines attached to the filler neck itself. Try to find the vent line (if it has one) and ensure it is not plugged. If you have no vent line, get yourself a vented cap.
Thanks, I think my vent is attached to the filler neck but will check to see it is not plugged.

-
Back