What color of black did chrysler use on the hood? And what is the best way to apply?

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
Was it just plain 'ol flat black? If I do it, what grit should I sand down the hood with? My hood is very flat, as in need no bodywork. Should I use primer if I dont go down to metal?

Wet sand with 400 grit, seal with a non-sanding sealer, spray it with Dupont's Hot Rod Black. It's a semi-gloss single stage urethane that looks nice and holds up well.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

They actually make a black paint called TRIM BLACK.I have a 67 chevelle SS and the rear panel below the deck is originally black so when I restored the car I found out about the stuff called TRIM BLACK! It is better than using flat black,or hot rod black.It really looks close to the original stuff they used on the hoods back then.First wash the car or hood with real clean water USE NO SOAP and scrub the hell out of the hood! LET IT DRY REAL WELL, Tape off the area you don't want painted, Wipe the area you want to paint down with laquer thinner,You can scuff the area you are going to paint with a scotch brite pad they work really well,scuff it up really good,wipe it down again with laquer thinner let dry well and paint! It will look like a MILLION!

i just went through this with the paint guy im using. using ppg concept paint. with one quart he had to add almost 1/2 qt of flattener. sprayed it thursday nite. looked at it yesterday and it came out sweet. if you are sanding the hood, i would seal it. basically the sealer is going to give you a uniform base color. it wont work on bare metal though. if you have any bare metal you need to primer it then seal then spray.

-
Back