What color to paint my dart?

What color to paint my dart?

• Total voters
-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
I'm currently deciding between painting it a metallic silver, or sour apple green metallic. Either way, I will be adding on a 6 pack scoop and painting the hood/scoop with a satin black. cant decide on a body color though.

The bodywork will be less than perfect. but I believe either color that I choose wont be too bad in showing the imperfections..this is my first complete paintjob.

I just want to know what you guys think about the colors?! i'm building my car dolly in the next few days so that i can get going on sanding her down. and then I will be painting her ASAP.

Go with the new bright silver metallic (code PS2) :) I don't think I've seen an a-body in person in a bright silver (as opposed to like a gunmetal), I think it'd look bad-***.

not much of a fan of lime green, or apple green. they are "too much". I like the dark green myself...

I'd go with metallic silver, depending on what year your dart is...?

Go with the new bright silver metallic (code PS2) :) I don't think I've seen an a-body in person in a bright silver (as opposed to like a gunmetal), I think it'd look bad-***.
not sure what the exact color code it. the metallic silver that i have is from summit though. i'll upload a pic of it.. i think the silver would look cool though.
not much of a fan of lime green, or apple green. they are "too much". I like the dark green myself...

I'd go with metallic silver, depending on what year your dart is...?
i do like the dark green, but at the same time, darker colors show imperfections in the bodywork. and the lighter the color, the better the paintjob will look overall. i'll post pics of both of the colors..

EDIT: also, my dart is a '67. 2 door hardtop gonna be a strong 318 w/ TCI 727 and 8.75" 3.23 rear

Attachments

• satin hot rod black (NO CC).jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 1,035
  • gloss silver metallic (NO CC).jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,037
  • sour apple green metallic.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,052
both colors are awesome. i voted on the green only because ive been seeing more and more silver cars popping up (not just mopars.) either way just remember that metallic paint can be tricky to spray if you havent done it before. to get a uniform look, i fan the paint lightly over the car after painting so the metallic will hide any blotches. im not a pro but ive learned the hard way about spraying metallic.

I like green. I do like silver too but most all new cars are silver so that turnes me off of it a little.

I'm currently using the bright silver on my '69 Dart. So far only the engine compartment is painted but I'll try to post a pic. Be patient, I've never posted a picture...

Attachments

• DSC_0118.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,005
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....I like that silver....I wonder how that would look on a 70 Dart, I havent seen too many 70 Darts painted silver...

Silver would best suit a late 60's car in my opinion, the green is more sporty like a Demon or sport car. Either way this car will look good, hard work pays off so keep at it and keep us posted.

...metallic paint can be tricky to spray if you havent done it before. to get a uniform look, i fan the paint lightly over the car after painting so the metallic will hide any blotches. im not a pro but ive learned the hard way about spraying metallic.

isn't the clear coat going to give it the uniform look? maybe someone else can chime in.? I'm no pro, because like i said, i've never done it before..

And the votes for silver vs. green on my car are practically even right now. at 9 vs. 10. i'm still not sure. i know the silver will look reall clean and blend in with other cars more, but the green will stick out more and look more radical IMO. i'm not sure which I want.

I've got a '73 satellite daily driver thats painted all white. and I get a ton of attention(from cops is mainly what i'm concerned about) in this thing. I have cops follow me all the time, just waiting for a reason to pull me over. just because i'm a young guy in a old school car. Let alone if I had a bright metallic green car! another thing is, with such a 'bold' color as green, i'm only going to have a 318 backing up the looks of it. although it will be a stout 318..

i'm still now sure what I want..all opinions and comments are welcome though!

A friend of mine has a '67 Dart GT that is bone white with black interior nd bumblebee stripe. That car looks nice.

I voted Green. It seems like all new cars are White or Silver or Black. I like to see some color out there. I am trying to decide on the color for the wagon too. White just bores me to death. My wife's Kia minivan is white, that is all I need to say about that.

I picked the green, but I also think the Burnt orange color on the newer Dodges would look good with either a silver or matte black top. Something like that is what I plan on going with when I paint my duster (way down the road).

normally I am not a fan of this but i think it would be very well suited on your car.

scratch the satin black hood.

use the green and the silver!!!

do a two tone, green on bottom and silver on top with a hemi orange pinstripe to seperate the two, put some nice 18" chrome cragers or something on it.....it would look like a chip foose paint job I think.

but if you want to go just one color, I say silver.

normally I am not a fan of this but i think it would be very well suited on your car.

scratch the satin black hood.

use the green and the silver!!!

do a two tone, green on bottom and silver on top with a hemi orange pinstripe to seperate the two, put some nice 18" chrome cragers or something on it.....it would look like a chip foose paint job I think.

but if you want to go just one color, I say silver.

Sounds nice if I had all of the time in the world. Its going to have to be a quickie though. I have 60 days to get out of my house (forclosure). so one color would be easiest. and I already have the rims for the car. they are Eagle alloys. As of now, i'm leaning a little towards green with a black hood. I'm not sure why, I love the look of the satin black hoods though! especially with the 6 pack scoop

Attachments

• IMG00501.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 960
Not sure if its just me, I dont believe I've ever seen a poll this close before though. i'll leave it up for a few days and see how it lasts. as of now, its 17-18..which doesn't really help my decision much. lol. I do know that ultimately it is my decision though. I just wanted to see others opinions

Not sure if its just me, I dont believe I've ever seen a poll this close before though. i'll leave it up for a few days and see how it lasts. as of now, its 17-18..which doesn't really help my decision much. lol. I do know that ultimately it is my decision though. I just wanted to see others opinions

Ya were not being much help are we. LOL It is a close one for sure.

well....even though you say you do not have the time to go two tone....I couldnt help myself from doing a bit of photoshopping on a dart just to see what the paint scheme I mentioned could look like.

I think it looks really cool though.

it actual doesnt require much more effort to two tone the paint job....the biggest thing is more money for another color of paint and so on.

well, atleast maybe it will give someone else and idea and a picture to go off of for a piant job idea I guess.

found a picture of this dart on the net and I did one version of two tone and one version of two toned with a hemi orange pin stripe

Attachments

• 1968%20Dodge%20GSS%20Hemi%20Dart%207.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 939
  • two toned.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 926
  • two toned with pin.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 918
Everyone and their mother have a silver car on the road. Go with the apple green metallic, just not the green all the E body Cuda's are being painted.

for silver thats for sure its great color to put on a dart

for the satin black hood

I did mine with (sem) hot rod black

it did very well and can be clean easily

I would take a look at the green on the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. For green it is nice. I have had horrible luck with green cars. Blends to well with the surroundings and people tend to run into them. My wifes green Saturn was hit 6 times. Bodywork must be PERFECT for silver. It amplifies small dings and scratches.
Metallics are a bit harder to spray but look nice. You could always spray it Mercedes Silver and shoot Candy green over that. It POPS!! Getting ready to shoot my dads Duster tutone, black sides with the silver along the top and spray candy yellow over the silver. Just my 2 cents

not a real fan of silver but would pick it over green

With body work less then perfect I think the silver will show more, the old silver was hard to even

Good Luck

View attachment sourapple.jpg

this one won one of the awards at texas Roadhouse show. The judges were 3 kids from Riley Childrens Hospital. He has sense changed it up some, looks better today than when picture was taken.

View attachment SilverDart.jpg

This is one nice silver Dart

-
Back