what converter is right for me?

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok everyone long story short I want to swap my 4 speed for an automatic, I was thinking with a 904 but not sure if i should use a 727. The motor I have is a mild 360 it has about 9.5 compression the car weighs about 3100 lbs, stock J heads with a strip dominator intake manifold, 750 Mighty Demon carb, the cam is a mechanical huhges cam the lift is 579 intake & 587 exhaust, duration is 256-260 @ 50". It has 4.10 gears and a 26" tall tire. It will see track time and when not on the track it will have hard street miles. Im looking for ideas on which trans to use and what specific converter would work best for my set up. Thanks for any advise I can gather.

I totally agree with Doug. You need a custom converter mainly cause you have a mis-match of parts. Way too much cam for the compression and stock heads for one. There are several good converter companies. Ultimate is one, PTC, Dynamic, are just a few you can send in all your information on your car and they'll build you a custom unit that'll work properly with your car.

Oh yeah, a 904 will do fine if properly built (meaning a billet converter, more clutch discs, etc). And I'd find a low gear set for it if it were me.

Got my custom converter built by Continental Converters in beautiful Inglewood California.
They were highly recommended.

I totally agree with Doug. You need a custom converter mainly cause you have a mis-match of parts. Way too much cam for the compression and stock heads for one. There are several good converter companies. Ultimate is one, PTC, Dynamic, are just a few you can send in all your information on your car and they'll build you a custom unit that'll work properly with your car.

Oh yeah, a 904 will do fine if properly built (meaning a billet converter, more clutch discs, etc). And I'd find a low gear set for it if it were me.

thanks for all the help guys, I am looking into a crt converter sent him all my info just waiting for a return call.

Fishy68 I figured the cam is big for this but I do plan on 0 decking the block and getting the compression up to atleast 10.5 and some eddy heads at some point. Anyone know the max compression i can get away with when i go to aluminum heads? on pump gas? i know each car is different but any general ideas?

thanks for all the help guys, I am looking into a crt converter sent him all my info just waiting for a return call.

Fishy68 I figured the cam is big for this but I do plan on 0 decking the block and getting the compression up to atleast 10.5 and some eddy heads at some point. Anyone know the max compression i can get away with when i go to aluminum heads? on pump gas? i know each car is different but any general ideas?

John will do you right.

With that cam and closed chambered aluminum heads it should be fine at 10.75 to 1. Maybe even 11 to 1 but you'd be pushing it on pump gas. The main thing is getting the quench distance down to .040 or less (.035" would actually be better). That'll help avoid detonation.

That set up is going to need a bunch of converter. I won't run one of the suggested manufacturers if I got it free. I run nothing but A-1, ATI, T/A in anything I want to run good. Ultimate and Dynamic are good.

I wouldn't put anything less than a 4500 8" job in it. Then again, I'm not afraid to run big stalls on the street.

Get a custom one, preferably something that is tighter at part throttle but flashes really hard.

-
Back