what deep oil pan can you usein a 68 a body

-
I have a QA1 k frame and use a 402 pan.

running a direct connection K frame what oil pan can you use that won't interfere with the steering
I ran a 8 qrt morose oil pan on the 440 in my 73 dart with the stock King frame and steering linkage.

Typically with an A-body you would use a 187 or 699 oil pan with a big block. Both of these pans are identical except the part #

Tom

Tom thank you I have a 699 pan but I'm looking for a deeper pan is there one that I can use that won't interfere with the steering

7" deep works in my '69. All manual.
You'll need to think about ground clearance.

I want to say the old one from the '70s is a Milodon. The one in the picture I picked up at a bow tie swap. Not sure of the brand. They are pretty much the same dimensions.
Oilpan.gif

Even this 7" depth tends to be a shoe horn in deal. It's basically a deep "971" pan.
Check this link.................
Oil Pan Schematics

Last edited:
...........Is there a dimple for the idler arm on the pass side........if so yes...........kim.......
Just unwrapped (still on the engine) and quick looked at the "old" pan out of curiosity from your comment. It's not a Milodon. It's in fact a modified 971 with a part number 9718804 (I believe). It does in fact have a small cone shaped clearance on the passenger side, third flange bolt from the rear.
Looks like an after thought, not formed when made. Maybe 1/2" deep on the pan side, almost 2" wide (more of a radius not a flat), tapering down, about 2" in toward the pan centerline.
If a sketch helps, passenger, bottom passenger..............
Modified971.gif

The 20 buck pan above does not have it but....I'm sure it can!

I ran a Milodon pan on my 440 with the DC K member. 71 Dart, the pan kicked out to the sides so its not quite as deep as a regular deep pan. No issues with stock steering.

I ran a Milodon pan on my 440 with the DC K member. 71 Dart, the pan kicked out to the sides so its not quite as deep as a regular deep pan. No issues with stock steering.
moparwillybb just listed the Milodon pan for sale here

The best 7 quart B/RB pan is the Milodon #31580.
No ground clearance or stock steering issues.
Trap doors give complete oil control.

MIL-31580_xl_zpswolhnnpe.jpg

The best 7 quart B/RB pan is the Milodon #31580.
No ground clearance or stock steering issues.
Trap doors give complete oil control.

MIL-31580_xl_zpswolhnnpe.jpg
That pan isn't notched out at all for the steering linkage. The notch I have on my 699 pan (which is identical to the 187 pan) needed to be slightly banged out to fit nicely. I can't see that there would be no interference with this one.

I have a Moroso 20760 (7 quart) with stock 383, K, and front suspension. I get a little interference at hard right turn but it is not bad. I had the older version for many years and it never rubbed through. I do go easy on right turns though. Clearance to the road is just fine with tall 15" inch skinnies up front.

I would have used the Milodon pan for more ground clearance, but have read about to many folks that say they had to notch the K-Frame with those pans.

Last edited:
That pan isn't notched out at all for the steering linkage. The notch I have on my 699 pan (which is identical to the 187 pan) needed to be slightly banged out to fit nicely. I can't see that there would be no interference with this one.

From item description on Summit Racing site:

Brand: Milodon Manufacturer's Part Number:31580

Notes: Pan clears factory drag link and K-member on all bodies.

-
Back