What do I do for fuel tank pad on a 65 A-body?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
Hey I removed the fuel tank from my 65 Valiant. I believe that's why it wasn't starting. I rebuilt the carb, put a new fuel filter, air filter, and added a little gas. It started up and quickly died because the fuel was leaking from the center of the fuel tank. So I took it out in about 20 minutes and took it to my local radiator shop. He says it's extremely clean inside and that they could solder the hole no problem. Even the fuel tank filler neck grommet looked good. It doesn't show cracks or dry rotting at all. I'm going to reuse it. However, I can't find the fuel tank pad, or the fuel tank strap insulation. Does anyone know where I can purchase a sheet of EPDM rubber so I can cut it out? The hardware stores only carry strips of EPDM rubber for insulating house windows and doors. Year One can get the fuel tank pad and the filler neck to body gasket for a 67-74 A body. But I checked the fuel tank is the same for a 65 and a 67. Should this work? Then what about the piece of foam that was under the strap. Does it need to be there? On my 73 Charger the straps had an impression made on the fuel tank to set in, on this 65 Valiant there is no impression made on the tank for the strap to go across.

I just had the tank on my '64 Barracuda cleaned out, tube soldered. I didn't find any foam under the strap. There was a large pad covering the top of the tank which was OK. If I had to replace it, I would think sound deadening pad material would work, available from an autobody supply store. Their both about the same thickness and its easy enough to cut with heavy scissors or a box knife, inexpensive too.

The strap goes on without any padding.
The top of the tank gets a pad on top of it.It keeps it from grinding into the body. There easy to make,just need to find the right material.Or you can buy one at any of the different vendors, or even E-bay.

I used an old inner tube cut to fit on the top of the tank. The problem with some of the materials is they hold water from condensation and will lead to the tank rusting. The inner tube serves the same function - eliminate rattles.

-
Back