What do I have here?

-

340_dart_power

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what rear end have here from the casting numbers? Just curious as to what it is.
As far as I know, it is original equipment, but I've changed the gears to a set of posi 3:55 ratio about two years ago.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

an 8.75 with a 741 chunk

i dont have a code book handy so thats all i can give ya

Thanks, lot of good info in the article.
So, I have a low horsepower rear end? Just lovely...
One more item to swap out.

Oh contrare my friend, the 741 is the only pinion without a stress riser. I'm running a 741 behind a 480ish HP 383 in my Demon and haven't broke it yet. Mind you mine is 95% street and has seen a few runs down the 1/4 with sticky tires plus it shifts really hard. If I was going mostly strip I wouldn't be using it though.

Another write for ya http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/1.html

Terry

If you aren't running 550hp/500+tq through it with slicks and a transbrake, you'll be fine.

Another thing someone wrote with their head completely up their rear.

Oh contrare my friend, the 741 is the only pinion without a stress riser. I'm running a 741 behind a 480ish HP 383 in my Demon and haven't broke it yet. Mind you mine is 95% street and has seen a few runs down the 1/4 with sticky tires plus it shifts really hard. If I was going mostly strip I wouldn't be using it though.

Another write for ya http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/1.html

Terry

LOL, this is why I hang out here; you all are quite a bit more knowledgeable about this material than I am, to put it mildly.
Thanks for the vote of confidence on it, the 741. I could hear more money leaving my bank account in the form of buying a new rear end.

My 340 came with a 741 case. Low HP? The small pinion is all they had behind 4-speed Max Wedge cars and early 426 Hemis. The 741 pinion is larger than Ford 9" pinions, and I haven't heard anyone saying they are weak. Finally, it's not the pinion that breaks on 8-3/4s. It's usually the caps, or axles, and sometimes the entire housing twists or bends.

-
Back