What do they do with inner fenderwells when swapping B.B into early, skinny A-body?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I'm still on the learning curve, and I want to thank all you guys for the help and advice you've given me with my '62 Valiant LA-block conversion:
dweezil1.jpg

I have one big question, though. What do you do with the inner fenderwells on an early, skinny A-body (1960-62 Valiant or Lancer) when you swap in a big block?

I'm attaching a couple of pictures of big blocks that other people have installed in early, skinny cars.

As you can see from the attached diagram of the front sheet metal on these early cars, there's only 39 inches between the straight, upper parts of the fenderwells and 28" between the curved lower parts of the fenderwells.

How would a hard-core big block swapper handle this?

61_Valiant_big_block.jpg

62_Lancer_big_block.jpg

valiant.jpg

the inner fenders can stay are go just like in their bigger brothers. the fitting of the rb is the easy part, the headers are the hard part. you need to build your own.

Actually, Bob, there are factory exhaust manifolds that you can use in even this tight installation. I forget the part number and application at the moment. Of course they wouldn't flow as well as some good headers.

But if the inner fenders go, as you say, what supports the outer fender, the radiator support, etc.? Sorry if I'm being dumb.

in my opinion when the inner fenders are removed you will need front down struts from at least the firewall to the front of the frame with them tied into the shock toweror you will be relying on the fenders to support the front end. i don't know if there is room for any kind for factory header with a 440 in these hotrods when retaining the inner fenders.

-
Back