What do you guys do for a stereo?

-
I had nothing in the car for tunes until my son wanted some when we went for a drive.I broke down and put in something for him.

shifter.jpg

caramp.jpg

This is what I do for tunes in my '73. It's an amplified speaker, uses 3 aaa batteries and is weatherproof when zipped shut. It's not a super loud booming speaker but it is loud enough for us when cruising with the windows down. I bought it at Best Buy for $15 it seems to last a long time on a good set of batteries The best part is the portability you can throw it on the front seat, the dash or you can use the clip that comes with it and hang it on your lawn chair at a car show. I happy with this set up for all I use the car plus the total cost including the mp3 player is $45

Set up a friends 69 Charger with 2 amps, 1 For the deck speakers and another for the sub box. Got the 1/8 jack to RCA cable and used a first generation 30GB Zune as the headunit. Even has FM reception and sounds incredible providing you load it up with high bit rate tunes. I have about 20 Full CD quality abums on it so far. The Zune can hide in the console or place it on the passenger seat or under it. I'm doing this in my Swinger as well.

P.S. The newest Zune from Microsoft can be had in 80GB+ I believe and also plays HD radio stations!

my cuda came with its own jukebox with tracks such as 1}THE V8 RUMBA,2}SHIFTER CLUNKIN..3}THEM TIRES A SCREETCHIN 4}WHATS THAT SIREN and last but not least 5}A RICER CRYIN!

Yeah since there was originally one speaker in the center of the dash. But still stuck. How would the AM stereo know if it is sending sound to two speakers or just one if they are just branching off. I know there wouldn't be a separate left and right channel but still, shouldn't it play in both?

On my 60's A-Bodies, I install period correct NOS Craig FM/8 Track units under the dash (they slide out of the harness for quick removal), and stock AM Radio's.

Might not seem like much........Until you crank it, that is. They sound Great. 6X9 ovals on the rear deck (stock configuration), and added 4X6 in the front kick plates. Full saturation & great tone.

116_1667_2.jpg

I've been without music (or AM talk radio) for years, and have been searching for a place that makes older looking radios but with new hardware. I swear I've seen commercials for it many years ago - their motto was "Don't cut that dash!" but I cannot find them.
I want my big giant buttons and a USB port on the same device, is that so hard??

Mine has a tray that the radio mounts in under the dash, its kinda far forward to reach all the time, but with the remote it works rather well. I'll post a a picture tonight when I get home from work for ya.

edit: Mine is mounted where pastortom's is, its just a newer Pioneer cd deck.

Awesome! Yeah that's what I was looking for but only found FM ones online earlier. One thing though, I tried to hook up two speakers to my AM radio and it cuts out. It seems to only work with one speaker or the other. Is this because there isn't enough power for both?

Adding two (or more) speakers to the single-speaker output on the radio is working the radio's audio amplifier really hard.

It's time to to decide whether originality (and value!) matters more than major-league output power. (Flowmaster 40s are a force to be reckoned with!)

Yeah I'm definitely leaving the AM radio in there. It gets mostly static lol. I decided that I'll just put a second deck under the seat then connect the iPod there.

My Signet has an Amp, speakers, tweeters and a sub. The dash is clean, no cutout for a radio just a plug-in for the cord of the I-Pod which has around 5000 songs on it :)

I have an alpine deck zip tied to the wires under the seat. Ran an ipod cord off of it and I have it come up just barely between the split in the bench seat. That way when I park and take my ipod out, I stuff the cord head back into the seat so people can't look in and see it. Also when running wires, there will be a few inches of wire that may get exposed when going from the door sill plate to under the seat. What I did was just wrap the wires in electrical tape for that little run. That way if someone looks in, they can't see the wires at all and it just looks like I have an AM radio.

Used to have my stereo hanging from under the dash but didn't do that again after someone broke out my quarter window, stole the stereo and broke my steering column.

-
Back