What do you guys do for a stereo?

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
I have the stock AM radio in the car and want to keep it there. I would like to play the music from my iPhone in it. I don't care to have CD or FM radio and didn't really want to take up the glove box space with a deck. Here are the options I found:

1) Get a small amp to connect to the player. The only problem is that I read it can be risky if there are any power spikes and I don't want to mess the phone up.

2) This hidden stereo to plug the player into:

http://www.vintagevibes.net/Stereos/secretaudio.htm

you can get RCA plug ins that you tie into your speaker wires (walmart carry's them I think) there used for people who want to run a stereo system but have a stock head unit that did not come equipped with RCA inputs.

you would then have to get a ipod to rca connector and plug it into the RCA's....the only problem with that is since its the ipod out putting rather than the stereo outputting....you would have to have the radio off so it would not be sending sound signals to your ipod.....and even then I am not sure if the ipod would be capable of powering full size speakers.

you have other options though

you can also put and aftermarket stereo under the seat as was previously mentioned.....and also now there are alot of places that make factory styled turn dial radios but with RCA jacks on the back of the unit aswell as ipod plug ins on the back.

so to the naked eye it would all look like a factory set up but with all the modern amenity's in the back.

Hope that helps

I have mine under a seat, I went with a JVC with remote.
The JVC replaced the SecretAudio I had, it had an enternal short and the maker would not fix it under warranty.

I have an old busted stereo in my car they had all ready cut the dash so im just going to put a new radio in my car with blue tooth

100_0729.jpg

My dash is already cut for a DIN style receiver so that is what I am going to use. An Alpine head unit with Ipod hidden in the glove box. You could put the same stereo under your front seat and use the remote that comes with it.

Couple Ideas.
picture 14 (Alpine w/ipod, sat. radio, USB, no cd player) I love it.
dart4.jpg

213.jpg

ok something i know something about i got a small inverter plugged into lighter socket and trusty boombox plugged in totally portable lol put it on roof while working in yard [dual purpose stereo system]

I have the original AM, plus a Sparkomatic 8-track I got on ebay. I also got an 8-track recorder, so I can record my own tapes.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas everyone, especially about the SecretAudio not being warranted. That changes my mind about getting one of those. I think I will get a standard deck with an ipod input and then try to get it under the seat.

When some of you put a deck in the glove box or under the seat, did you build a box or what?

One thing you need to be careful with when looking for a deck with a remote is what kind of remote it uses. I put a moden deck in the back of my 71 Vette so I could have some modern power and digital tuning to hold stations, but it was an IR remote, so you have to have the remote facing the deck with line of sight for it to work. If you do go with a remote make sure it's an RF one (works on antenna, not line of sight) if you plan to hide it under a seat.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas everyone, especially about the SecretAudio not being warranted. That changes my mind about getting one of those. I think I will get a standard deck with an ipod input and then try to get it under the seat.

When some of you put a deck in the glove box or under the seat, did you build a box or what?

When I put my JVC under the seat, I just attached some Velcro to the bottom of it, and it hooks right into the carpet. Now if you have older carpet, you may need to add a strip to the carpet for it to hold. It worked out real well, because the front carpet overlaps the back carpet under the seat. That way I did not have to cut any holes in the carpet (new), to run the wires.

BTW, the SecretAudio does have a warranty, they just did not back it up in my case.

Three different people have posted that they like listening to their exhaust. OK, we get it. Then why are you posting in a thread about car stereos?!?

a marine sterio has the complete led display on the hard line remote. Place that head unit anywhere.

This is what I am mapping out for my 65 Valiant:
You can use an amp that has RCA input with a modular ipod to RCA cable (see link for an example, hide it under the seat, hide speakers under the dash and in the package shelf. Hide a power switch to turn it on and you ipod cable in the ashtray. It's easy to make a mount panel in there To operate, open the ashtray, plug the ipod in, power up the amp, and enjoy your tunes. NO radio needed! You may be able to find a base for the ipod that has the cable necessary.

http://www.nextag.com/iSimple-IS75-PolyWire-Universal-658382907/prices-html?nxtg=42f0a1c051a-906B30900BCB9F97)

a cheaper way is to use an 1/8 headphone to RCA cable instead of the cable above

The in dash am and an underdash Panasonic 8 track player(early to mid seventies by what I was able to find out)also have a fm convertor that goes in instead of an 8 track, and I occasionally bring along my protable xm radio and play it through the fm convertor. Need to get pics cause the 8 track matchs my console(sliver, chrome and black).

How does the 8 track send music through the deck? I didn't think there were any inputs on mine. I have seen the FM converters that plug inline with the antenna to send music through. Mine is only AM though.

I had my AM radio converted into a 4 x 45 watt AM/FM stereo with auxillary inputs. I also have a modern receiver/CD under the dash feeding two 4 x 6`s in the kick panels, two 6 x 9`s in the rear of the car and a powered sub that`s hidden under the passenger seat. If I keep the engine vacuum high as well as the stereo volume, I can actually hear the music over the engine. :-D

The convertor and the 8 track deck are a matched set, the 8 track deck has an input for antena, then the am/fm convertor (shaped like an 8 track tape)goes in in place of a tape. My portable XM radio has a built in fm transmitter. Not the best sounds system as I just have a couple tiny box speakers under the front edge of the front seats. Have been thinking about getting a spare set of kick panels and mounting a pair of 5 or 6 inch speakers in them.

-
Back