What do you guys like for ignition upgrade

-

witteman

Test & Tuner
Reaction score
I just rebuilt my 1968 340 Dart GTS.

New forge crank & pistons also upgraded cam to high streetable one. Also have a 650 demon carb with a small nitrous shot 75-150 hp. This is just a weekend driver with 3:91 gears and a few times a year at the 1/8 mile strip. Just wondering what you guys like.

Thanks Tom
and Merry Christmas to all!

I like MSD myself as well, have never had a problem with any of it, not saying its 100% bullet proof but I personally know of no one that has ever had a problem with it either. The MSD 6 amp ignition box would be a good upgrade for a street driver.

You would be getting rid of both the control and ballest I think, go to MSDs web site and you can look at the installation diagrams and see before hand how to install all of their products. Another option is theirs a distributor now that uses a GM HEI module and all thats needed with that one is a coil, I am considering it for my next build just to be different and I like the GM HEI ignition. Sorry I would post links but would have to go find em as my computer crashed and I lost em all.
Oh and another thing about MSD is you need to use the spark plug wire they reccomend, solid core vs non solid core as thats very important and can cause the box to fail.

My car has had a Mallory Unilite distribuator and coil along with stand alone MSD rev limiter on it for over 20 years and it has never failed.

Msd e curve dizzy and msd box with msd wires and boush plat 4 plugs

HEI for my daily drivers. I have seen too many new MSDs fail and I like the fact that all the stuff needed is off the shelf parts.

Tough to beat HEI for performance, reliability, and cost-effectiveness.

MSD reliability, in my experience, has never been as good as it should be. Much worse now their stuff is made in China.

When I do the HEI conversions I do use an MSD Blaster 2 coil, mainly out of habit. I haven't had one go bad yet but I have seen the ignitions drop like flies.

I put a Mallory Hyfire 6AL, coil and one of their magnetic trigger distributors on my race car several years ago and never touched it since, besides playing with the timing.

-
Back