What do you guys pay for body work where you live?

-
You are one lucky dude. I could learn so much just watching a pro for an afternoon. 8)

Then get some videos like the Paintucation ones, or there's other ones out there too... if you don't have personal access to a pro, which can be challenging. At least you'll get one pro viewpoint and get to SEE how it's done. There's also tons of videos on youtube, like the ones from jlillyresto. I've found some of their hammer/dolly videos to be extremely useful. Some info there I've never seen anywhere else.

You are one lucky dude. I could learn so much just watching a pro for an afternoon. 8)

I know it took me over a year to talk into him doing another one of mine, but he really likes the classics and he's really interested in all the mods that I have done/doing to the Dart.

Around here, prices can go from 1-40k depending on the amount of work needed & materials used. I have a good friend that treats me right when it comes to all this stuff, plus I'm not trying to win the Oakland Roadster Show, so we have an understanding. My latest project is about what you'd expect for a "desert car"---little rust, a few patches to fix & just enough rusty parts to require a case of Liquid Wrench to pull it all apart.
I CAN tell you primer, paint & clear alone cost me about 2k--never mind masking materials or cleaners. Another site member is using this bodyman also & it's costing him more than he initially thought, though we're both happy with the work & rate of progress.
So what is the answer to "How much"? Well, providing you're not looking for concourse-type paint jobs, are willing to put out good money for quality materials & have a "fair" car to start with,, IMO, 10k will get you paint & bodywork you can be proud of.........

The average body resto in the shop I use to work at was about 10K, Thats with some sheet metal replacement, a lot of blocking, base/clear, wet sanded and buffed.

My local body guy quoted me at roughly $15k for everything, including 1/4s.

I thought it was outrageous at the time but now that I've started doing the work myself I'm seeing that it probably would have been worth it. There would have been no way I would have been able to come up with the money though.

My benchmark was the original $10k loose quote I got from my local guy. That included 2 quarters, tubs, trunk floor.....SO, my opinion was if the car didn't need extensive work like my 73 did - It shouldn't be $10k. Reasonable?

I'm getting my second quote tomorrow (keep in mind these aren't really quotes, but a "going rate").

Darren

Thats why its good to have a father who does body work for a living for the past 30 years8) Grade A work plus he can paint too:bootysha: Too bad he's not the best at building drive trains or I'd be set.

i had my duster painted by a local guy.he charged me 3500 for just labor and i had almost 1500 in materials.and he didnt have any patch work to do.but it came out perfect i think

If it came down to me spending $10,000 on paint and body work i'd just have to either be happy with what I got or sell out. You can buy another really decent car for that much money lol. Ive been quoted from a few places around me 3000-3500 for a nice base coat clear coat with bodywork.

-
Back