What do you guys think about ABS panels for package tray and door panels?

-

MADMarc

Just a d00d
Reaction score
My package tray is all kinds of disintegrated and dead...yes, leaking rear window. As soon as the car is driveable again the first thing on my list is to get it to stop leaking! Seals and weatherstripping are already on the way, but that still leaves me package tray less. I was already thinking of doing the door panels in ABS plastic because I am not a fan of cardboard, but then it occurred to me that I might also be able to use some paneling for the package tray.

ABS would not be affected by any leaks that I may encounter in the future, it is flexible if I don't get it too thick so that I can still pop it in there, and comes textured so gluing some fabric over it would be a piece of cake.

Do I just sound crazy? eplastics.com is down in San Diego and I can go pick it up from them there...yes, it'll cost a couple bucks more than cardboard, but I think it might have more longevity to it. What do you guys think?

I have plastic door panels in my car.....The arm rest's did not fit in my car thanks to the cage, so the they were stripped down to just the actual base and then sprayed with crinkle paint. Can get some pictures if you would like to see what they look like.....

My package tray is all kinds of disintegrated and dead...yes, leaking rear window. As soon as the car is driveable again the first thing on my list is to get it to stop leaking! Seals and weatherstripping are already on the way, but that still leaves me package tray less. I was already thinking of doing the door panels in ABS plastic because I am not a fan of cardboard, but then it occurred to me that I might also be able to use some paneling for the package tray.

ABS would not be affected by any leaks that I may encounter in the future, it is flexible if I don't get it too thick so that I can still pop it in there, and comes textured so gluing some fabric over it would be a piece of cake.

Do I just sound crazy? eplastics.com is down in San Diego and I can go pick it up from them there...yes, it'll cost a couple bucks more than cardboard, but I think it might have more longevity to it. What do you guys think?

Putting plastic panels in the package tray area is not a good idea. Due to sun exposure (high temps) you have to contend with expansion and contraction issues along with potential warpage. Door panels not so much. ABS is not the best choice for door panels because it cracks easily. I strongly suggest for your package tray that you go with a good automotive quality cardboard and cover it with the material of your choice. I'd use a light gauge aluminum for your door panels and cover it as well.

Good luck with your project.

Every sport bike I have owned has had plastic body panels.....one of them sat in the AZ sun at work for 7 years, never had any issues with the sun distorting them. Don't know what kind of plastic they were but......

I have ABS in package tray and door panels no problems ,car has set in 100 degree weather. Most resto shops are going to ABS unless you specify something else.

Cooll! Thanks for the replies, guys. I would love some pictures, if you would, please. What did you guys use for clips on the panels? I coooould make a hook to use the factory clips, but am interested in others' ideas. And how was the flexibility of getting the tray in there, zigs? Measure twice, cut once? :)

Mine are installed with black screws......will look for/take some pictures.....

Awesome, thanks! Screws sound so simple...but like a great idea. I know there are caps that can be put on with them, too. If I can do away w/those factory clips, that would be the best thing. I was leaning towards body clips...now I think I need to find some screw caps :)

Awesome, thanks! Screws sound so simple...but like a great idea. I know there are caps that can be put on with them, too. If I can do away w/those factory clips, that would be the best thing. I was leaning towards body clips...now I think I need to find some screw caps :)
When I go outside I will take a closer look, but I think the screws that were used on mine have small black washers under them as well.

Attachments

• 100_0104 (Medium).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 100_0121 (Medium).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 279
  • 100_0122 (Medium).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 253
  • CIMG0990 (Medium).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 252
  • CIMG0997 (Medium).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 277
You could also get some acid free cardboard from the art store and cut it to fit for the package tray. Same for the sail panels.

Thanks for those shots, helps me clean things up in my mind a bit. Guess my next trip to San Diego will include swinging by to get some plastic goodies.

No problem. Mine were cut on a table saw with a panel cutting blade, if I remember right.

Cooll! Thanks for the replies, guys. I would love some pictures, if you would, please. What did you guys use for clips on the panels? I coooould make a hook to use the factory clips, but am interested in others' ideas. And how was the flexibility of getting the tray in there, zigs? Measure twice, cut once? :)

Always, measure three or for times. If you have the old stuff for a pattern use it. As far as mounting I put vynil apolstery on the inside, marked the factory clip holes and used factory clips. Seems like I'm always pulling the panels off. Its nice to be able to just snap them on and off.

-
Back