What Do You Think About This Cam Bearing Install

-

clifftt

Reaction score
New bearings installed by good machine shop, but two have half the oil hole cut off. 273 Commando motor, street engine. Should I take it back or am I being too critical?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 385
Take it back and show them. I would do that, while trying not to be a jerk at first. If they gave me static, then I would be much more forceful.

50% mismatch is the maximum. We would allow the oil holes in the cam bearings to overlap up to 50%, then would replace them if blocked more.

Those look like they would meet the 50%. But you may want to take it back and ask them if they can bump it back into position or if they would have to be replaced. Better alignment would give you better piece of mind.

is the back of that bearing sticking out past the casting? You would have to look at it from the other side to tell.

The side pictured looks like the edge of the bearing is at the edge of the casting. How does it line up on the other side? Is the bearing centered in the casting? Could the oil hole be slightly off locaton/not centered in the casting?

Sorry, but that would not be acceptable to me. Looks like a cam failure waiting to happen. If they can't match the holes any better than that, I would have them remove the bearing and chamfer the hole. The two things a camshaft needs to live almost indefinitely are: a) proper break-in lube at assembly, and b) oil.

I would have them remove the bearing and chamfer the hole.

How do they chamfer the hole from the cam bearing side? It is drilled from the main bearing side, the casting is in the way to machine from the other side. How do you get a cutter in the cam bore to chamfer the hole?

I do my own and like them spot on. Since they CAN be installed right, there's no reason not to. JMO.

is the back of that bearing sticking out past the casting? You would have to look at it from the other side to tell.

The side pictured looks like the edge of the bearing is at the edge of the casting. How does it line up on the other side? Is the bearing centered in the casting? Could the oil hole be slightly off locaton/not centered in the casting?
like krazykuda said this would probally work but if I was doing a 5 to 8000 dollar build on a nice engine I want everything as close to perfect as I could get it

How do they chamfer the hole from the cam bearing side? It is drilled from the main bearing side, the casting is in the way to machine from the other side. How do you get a cutter in the cam bore to chamfer the hole?

With a Dremel. By hand. Old school.
Obviously you'd have to remove the cam bearing to do it. This, of course, only applies if the problem lies with the hole bored in the block, and not the bearing.

I have one similar in my 318. I even tapped the bearing back a little to try and get it better but the galley in the block must be quite a ways off as if I go more then the bearing will be way off the cam journal. I'm just gonna get a long drill bit and drill it while it's in the block from the galley side. I'll use some emory cloth and be careful and remove the burr.

And, actually, now that I think about it, the main journal directly under that specific cam journal is the one that was spun when I bought the motor!! I wonder if the factory install didn't notice it and that bearing wasn't getting as much oil as the others. Then when the last owner was racing it...kablewy!!

like krazykuda said this would probally work but if I was doing a 5 to 8000 dollar build on a nice engine I want everything as close to perfect as I could get it

Exactly. You can get away with it, but if it were my engine, I would want it better.

With a Dremel. By hand. Old school.
Obviously you'd have to remove the cam bearing to do it. This, of course, only applies if the problem lies with the hole bored in the block, and not the bearing.

Yeah, but if they remove the bearing to open up the hole, they should replace the bearing and line it up better the second time... Hopefully...

But if you can get to it with a dremel tool (there's alot of casting to work around) that would help.

Kind of a tough call in my opinion. Looks to me like a typical "production" install. The bearing itself looks to be fairly centered in the bore, and it's just a product of factory tolerances. If the shop knew up front that this was more the just a "basic" overhaul, they should have tried to correct it, or at least brought it to your attention incase they needed more labor $$$ to correct it. I'm not convinced they did anything wrong at this point, but hopefully they will work with you to make it a little better. With that said, i'd prefer a much better passage to those bearings, for insurance, if nothing else.

All they would have to do is simply knock it back. Probably two licks with a hammer.

I'm leery of using a bearing that has been hammered back into position. I don't think there would be room to get a bearing installation tool to get the job done. IMO, replace the bearing and hope for better luck installing it.

Whatever the outcome, since you're doing the final assembly yourself, make sure the cam spins freely in the bores...

They are a little past the casting. I can try to whack them to center the bearing. :violent1:

I'm leery of using a bearing that has been hammered back into position. I don't think there would be room to get a bearing installation tool to get the job done. IMO, replace the bearing and hope for better luck installing it.

Trust me, it won't hurt a thing.

They are a little past the casting. I can try to whack them to center the bearing. :violent1:
They should be doing that, IMO.

Even the bearings in my 318 from the factory were better lined up than that and they were probably done by some hungover fool on an assembly line

-
Back