What do you think about this engine swap

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
My brother wants to sell me his 99 Dakota 318, 4x4, for $2000. What would it take to slide that 318 (FI and all) into my Barracuda 4 speed?

From what I understand it will not fit under the hood with the factory beer barrel intake manifold. Other than that it will bolt in right in place of the 340.

It will take quite a bit of wiring to make the factory EFI work though. You would likely be better off to use an aftermarket EFI controller and you will cwertainly get more power that way.

could you tone down the 340 for $2000 and keep it in there?

tone down the 340 thicker head gasketsor different head cam combo. much less work.

The engine will fit. A low profile air cleaner will clear the hood. Wiring is a headache but if you are halfway decent at reading a c\schematic and have the complete dakota harness then its a days job. Tranny is another problem! You are going to have to do some major mods on the cross member to get it to fit. I KNOW, just finished the mods on my dart before sending it off to the sand blaster!! Pics are BIG so email me off list at [email protected] and I'll email them to you direct.

Larry

Personally I wouldn't have started off with a real Formula S car if I was making a 4x4 Barracuda, but hey, it's your car.

First off, there are tons of good condition 318s out there much cheaper than $2000. Second, If that is a numbers matching block make sure you hang onto that 340. And lastly, as mentioned above, it would most likely be less expensive to detune your 340 a bit. JMO, Mike

Not worth it, even a 360 would be hard, the wiring can be done, but then you have a crappy program in a factory controller. Edelbrock makes a complete FI kit for SM mopar for about $2400.

Personally I wouldn't have started off with a real Formula S car if I was making a 4x4 Barracuda, but hey, it's your car.

I wasn't going to make a 4x4 out of it. I was just thinking the FI 318 would make a nice cruiser engine as my original 340 sat safe and sound on a stand.

Dang, a 4x4 would be cool. And I was kidding anyhow.

Seriously, I agree with others about detuning your 340. I would consider ported Magnum heads, and an injection intake. Then use a Megasquirt or other aftermarket ecu to control the system. I believe there are stand-alone Mopar fuel injection harnesses as well.

68 Formula S 340, 4 speed with Dana 60, 3.91 rear. Engine mods are..... Pro Ported and flowed X heads, balanced, lightened and polished rods, 11.7 compression, Edelbrock Victor 340 intake, Holley 800 puddle dumper, Crower Street Roller (#31406 lobe center 112, advertised duration i&e 290-294, duration @ .050” 251-256, lift .550-.555.) RPM range 3200 to 7200, redline 7800+.

then you have a crappy program in a factory controller.

Not anymore, SCT has just released (will be at dyno shops currently tuning Fords & Chevys next week) a FULLY TUNABLE system for Chrysler products 1996 and up. Total cost buying the controller to operate the program, dyno time and all should be about $800. It will tune from bone stock to the wildest FI mopar small block you can imagine using the test port under the dash.

If you want to go all out $1100 will by the program and all the things you need (including the wideband) to tune the engine yourself.

-
Back