What do you think about this statement.........

-
I can see it happenin with stock or slightly elevated spring pressures. I sure wouldn't do it with any moderate spring, though. Those rocker bolts are only 5/16".
I am NOT a small block guy, but.....
Don't the magnums have the same rocker as a small chevy? Could you use the 7/16 aftermarket chevy studs and rockers?

I am NOT a small block guy, but.....
Don't the magnums have the same rocker as a small chevy? Could you use the 7/16 aftermarket chevy studs and rockers?
Well sure, but that's money spent on machine work. I assumed we were talking AS IS. You can run an .850 roller with all the right parts and machine work.

Unfortunately, the bosses are metric threads and the wasn't enough meat to drill and retap for USS or SAE threads on the heads we have.

The magnum rocker bolts are 5/16-18.
To use a Chevy rocker, I used a conversion stud from ARP. It’s 5/16-18 on one end and 3/8-16 on the other. Hughes engines sells em.
DB0B5E95-A499-4FAF-B491-9795A8E63584.png

The magnum rocker bolts are 5/16-18.
To use a Chevy rocker, I used a conversion stud from ARP. It’s 5/16-18 on one end and 3/8-16 on the other. Hughes engines sells em.
View attachment 1716207489
Those are a nice kit. Crane used to offer a similar kit that included guide plates too. Even still though with the Hughes or Crane kits, you still have a 5/16 stud holding everything to the head.

Those are a nice kit. Crane used to offer a similar kit that included guide plates too. Even still though with the Hughes or Crane kits, you still have a 5/16 stud holding everything to the head.
Yea but 5/16 is sufficient for what most people are gonna do.

In my experience and what I've seen wrenching, carb engines ran dirtier than FI that lead to sludge and wear. Its typical to tear down a LA 318 from the 70s with less than 100 thousand miles and have to use a ridge reamer to get pistons out, not so much on a FI magnum . This applies also to any make carb engine really ford chevy etc. Any FI engine usually doesnt sludge up under the valve covers or not as bad as a 70s carb motor.

Yea but 5/16 is sufficient for what most people are gonna do.
I don't know. I never liked it. The rockers on my Ford 400 are held down with 5/16" bolts, but all it has is a small Crane Fireball hydraulic flat tappet. I "guess" maybe I'm just not giving enough credit to those aftermarket 5/16" fasteners.

In my experience and what I've seen wrenching, carb engines ran dirtier than FI that lead to sludge and wear. Its typical to tear down a LA 318 from the 70s with less than 100 thousand miles and have to use a ridge reamer to get pistons out, not so much on a FI magnum . This applies also to any make carb engine really ford chevy etc. Any FI engine usually doesnt sludge up under the valve covers or not as bad as a 70s carb motor.
Also remember too, those 70s carburetor motors usually had catalytic converters heating the heck out of the engine and cooking antiquated motor oil that people never changed on time.

Those would work well for the Magnum, but for a Ford application like mine, they will not. The Crane kit worked for both, because it did not have the hex on the stud. Since machine work would have to be done on the Ford pedestals, you may as well enlarge the bosses to 3/8, or 7/16. That's a good choice for the Magnum, though. I would even install some guide plates, too. I wonder how much spring pressure they can stand?

Those would work well for the Magnum, but for a Ford application like mine, they will not. The Crane kit worked for both, because it did not have the hex on the stud. Since machine work would have to be done on the Ford pedestals, you may as well enlarge the bosses to 3/8, or 7/16. That's a good choice for the Magnum, though. I would even install some guide plates, too. I wonder how much spring pressure they can stand?
I'm not sure on the spring pressure. We never ran them to find out. Was going to use these with 1.6 Chevy rollers, what everyone brags about doing on a Magnum engine. The geometry was dogshit. No matter pushrod length or where you had the rocker at, the loss of lift was horrible. Even by small block Mopar standard!! Put the factory Mag rockers on it, taking into consideration loss of lift do to lifter angle, the factory 1.6 ratio is pretty spot on. We ran hydro lifters on this setup, with your typical 130 ish on the seat, 300 ish open and everything lived.

I should also add that I found out later that the 1.65 ratio is what should be used on the Magnum to achieve the proper 1.6.

Also remember too, those 70s carburetor motors usually had catalytic converters heating the heck out of the engine and cooking antiquated motor oil that people never changed on time.
"Antiquated", Quaker State, er I mean
guaranteed sludge
An intake valley in a Ford once was so sludged from it I had to scrape off 3/4 inch of sludge

"Antiquated", Quaker State, er I mean
guaranteed sludge
An intake valley in a Ford once was so sludged from it I had to scrape off 3/4 inch of sludge
Yup sludge cleanup was a given any time valve covers or intake came off. Making sure the return homes were un obstructed. I remember you never knew how bad it was going to be it was always a surprise.

I just like facts. I didn’t say the magnum was superior. It’s not. Maybe you need to look up the definition of superior.

I’ll say anything I want about Chrysler or anything else. Being a fan boi isn’t my thing
You sure seem to be pretty negative on this and any comment on them, not sure why?

All I know is I have a 9.0:1 magnum crate motor with R/T heads, M1 single plane and a carb that makes around 450 horse power and even more ft. pound's tq in a ‘70 duster and it hauls ***. I’m a fan! **** I can even use regular pump gas if I wanted too. I splurge for premium though!

Just out freshening up the engine and engine bay. Getting ready for tti exhaust this time and a more user friendly automatic valve body trans vs the tci manual race one that was in before.

IMG_4107.jpeg

IMG_4106.jpeg

You sure seem to be pretty negative on this and any comment on them, not sure why?

All I know is I have a 9.0:1 magnum crate motor with R/T heads, M1 single plane and a carb that makes around 450 horse power and even more ft. pound's tq in a ‘70 duster and it hauls ***. I’m a fan! **** I can even use regular pump gas if I wanted too. I splurge for premium though!

Just out freshening up the engine and engine bay. Getting ready for tti exhaust this time and a more user friendly automatic valve body trans vs the tci manual race one that was in before.

View attachment 1716208130

View attachment 1716208131

I’ll say it again. To say the magnum is SUPERIOR is nonsense.

If a person can’t see even a few merits in something when making bold statements their opinion usually holds little to no value to me. It just shows complete non objectiveness.

I’ll say it again. To say the magnum is SUPERIOR is nonsense.
Wasn’t saying it was or wasn’t superior.

I’m Just saying I really like mine, factory roller cam, really good heads are just a few of the reasons why I like it. I’ve had 273’s (commando and regular), 318, 340, and 360 LA motors with X, O, J, and stock 318 heads and they never performed as well as this engine does with pretty much equal mods.

To me the short block is basically the same there's obvious little differences, but it's mainly the head package that divides LA vs Magnum's. Stock 1.88 la heads vs magnum heads the magnum heads seems to make 20-30 hp over a similar done LA and pull out strong peak torque numbers.

If you have a running 318 or 360 slapping on a set of wrecking yard magnum heads would be a cheap upgrade, but now we have cheap aftermarket heads like SM make a better up grade for a little more $$$.

To me the short block is basically the same there's obvious little differences, but it's mainly the head package that divides LA vs Magnum's. Stock 1.88 la heads vs magnum heads the magnum heads seems to make 20-30 hp over a similar done LA and pull out strong peak torque numbers.

If you have a running 318 or 360 slapping on a set of wrecking yard magnum heads would be a cheap upgrade, but now we have cheap aftermarket heads like SM make a better up grade for a little more $$$.
I never seen any bone stock 360 LA also with a cam that car regularly spins to 6500 and stays together

If a person can’t see even a few merits in something when making bold statements their opinion usually holds little to no value to me. It just shows complete non objectiveness.

Whatever gets you through the day. I laid out my thoughts on magnum engines. You don’t like it. Move on then.

Not once have you shown (or anyone else for that matter) how the magnum is superior to the LA.

-
Back