What drag radial?

-

Dartish

Reaction score
Looking to buy a new pair of drag radials and wondering what you guys are running and how well they hook. Not going to see a ton of street miles so not worried about wear. Want something with bite though. Looking at 275 60 x15. Still running the 4.88 gear from the strip days and plain old radials are smoke city with the 4 speed. Motor is a solid lifter 340. Thanks for any input
0801161001.jpg

Looks like they hook pretty good. They bite pretty good on the street too?

They do bite pretty well on the street... 4.88s and a 4 speed gonna be hard on them lol

I ran M&h slicks at the strip years ago. And McCreary dirt track tires for awhile on the street. They We're ok when I was getting them for free.lol. Looking for something taller like the 275 now with a soft compound. The Coopers I put on awhile back are just silly trying to get away from a stop light quick, or side stepping the clutch in any gear

Why are you looking to run drag radials if it will see minimal street use? Why not run a bias ply and make life easier?

I've had great luck with these. They have taken my Dart into the high 11's with a 1.54 60 ft time but yet will last for 5,000-6,000 miles on the street. I know that doesn't sound like many miles but if you are not street driving every day that will last a few years. With the new radial technology I don't see the need for slicks.

Drag Radial.jpg

-- _ _ _ _ Not going to see a ton of street miles _ _ __ _ _ --
-- Run slicks. - Only The Car Guys will notice the slicks. -- I did it with My 500 inch 68 Dart. -- I assume that You don't run in the rain.

Car guys see the slicks and cry how that's why you beat them by 10 car lengths in the first 2 gears

I ended up finding a set of 4 unused Mcreary G60 dirt compound tires from a retired modified racer. Cost me a case of beer! Been in his garage for years unmounted. Used to run them when I had a 3.91gear in the car. Don't last long on street, but man did they bite!!! Mounting them on stock steel ramcharger wheels with dog dishes. Might not be the best choice, but they're better then what I've been running, and after I paid him his case of beer, he insisted I drink it with him. What a deal

A radial tire and sticks don't play well together.
The Cooper cobra cheapy radials act like they're on oil everytime you try to anything fun. Totally worthless in every gear. But they were near new and free. Know I know why. A buddy had them on his 67 gtx with 440,basically stock rebuild with a cam and headers, 4spd, and 4.10. Said they were great for doing burnouts at 40 mph.haha

I used MT ET Street R in 255/60-15 on my Valiant / 408 SB with good results. Best 60ft. with this tires 1.56 with some left due to wrong converter, i like them. For this season i bought a set of their Pro Bracket Radials in 28x9 because i wanted a bigger diameter - no results yet. These Radials are pretty good.

There´s a bias ply version of the ET Street R better suited for stick cars.

Michael

I've got the Mickey Thompson ET Street SS for my street driven Dart. Haven't run the car with them yet though. My cars a manual transmission.

Off topic slightly are people saying bias ply with a stick instead of radial because of bias plys wrinkle sidewall to reduce shock on driveline parts or what?

I've got the Mickey Thompson ET Street SS for my street driven Dart. Haven't run the car with them yet though. My cars a manual transmission.

Off topic slightly are people saying bias ply with a stick instead of radial because of bias plys wrinkle sidewall to reduce shock on driveline parts or what?

Bias ply sidewalls work better, the compounds tend to be stickier and when they spin they heat and increase traction.

-
Back