What electric ignition for a 71 dart /6?

-

71showdart

waitn'
Reaction score
What would you guys recomend for a good electronic ignition for a 71 Dart swinger 198 /6.
New to these cars so any info is benifitial! Thanks in advance

I checked out cudaspaz's thread on it but didn't make sense since it was mixed with info aobut wiring harnesses.

Here's another dumb(Newb) Q. What would a new wiring harness do. How would it help as far as aftermarket goes.

What would you guys recomend for a good electronic ignition for a 71 Dart swinger 198 /6.
New to these cars so any info is benifitial! Thanks in advance

I checked out cudaspaz's thread on it but didn't make sense since it was mixed with info aobut wiring harnesses.

Here's another dumb(Newb) Q. What would a new wiring harness do. How would it help as far as aftermarket goes.

I had good luck with using a HEI ecu on my slant. just need to find a electronic distributer.

but if it is indeed a "show dart"," then maybe you should stick with the original or orange box?

-j

get the distributor module(ignitor) and thats it. you could get the matching coil if you want, but not necessary.

ive used the pertronix kit a few times and had good luck with it but not on a / yet. My only concern with it is will you be able to get parts for it 5 or 10 years down the road have a few friends with electronic ignition kits from 10+ years and they cant get any parts for them as the manufacturers have gone out of business anybody know something as far as parts availability in years down the road

I'm running a Mopar Performance electronic ignition on my slant. Got it off ebay from cjmp (Central Jersey Auto Parts). That's what I chose to use. The only hard part of the instructions was figuring out which page to use. I chose it because I found it before I found a Pertronix. Pertronix has been around since the 60's when they started out making transistor ignitions, parts availability down the road looks pretty good. They are a well run company with good products, but a small advertising budget. You don't need a max voltage, world blaster ignition with a stock slant. If I could still find good points, that's what I would be running.

I have been real happy with an HEI module and an factory electronic distributor. I have used a pertronix too but not on a slant. I did had a pertronix fail, it took a few days to get a replacement. Had I used a HEI module I would have had my car running in a few minutes, there was a Kragens across the street and they stocked HEI modules.

1361A and call it good. its a stock slant 6. it does not need anything fancy. if you want points, always get standard brand "blue streak". standard sells them in a blue box, carquest sells them as their gold box, or napa also carries them. they are the best points available right now.

-
Back