What ever happened to drip rails?

-

T2R9

Reaction score
Just a small rant here, in the old days we had drip rails. this past week my doors were frozen solid 3 out 5 days when I headed out to work. Twice I went into the garage and grabbed a pry bar to get them open.

Must have been the late 80's when they started disappearing... :angry5:

Disappeared with the whole aerodynamic windtunnel testing phase of automotive design .Funny thing I always heard that aerodynamics don't really do much under 100 MPH or so ?

I agree! I love them on the 64 Dart, heck even my 78 Dodge D 150 truck, also luv the wind wings as well.

The dart you can drive around on a slightly rainy day, have the windows open, speed to 70+ and the wind does not blow your head off, you dodnt get wet.

And to your point you open the dood and dont get wet either.. good post!

I'm pretty sure my 96 F-150 had them on it. My 2008 company Ford Ranger doesnt and every time I wash my windshield over 20 mph I get a nice dose of fluid in the face!

Yeah drip rails disappeared with the areodynamic boon. They used to be there because that was how the roof was put on. Manufacturing had to change to incorporate the driprail less roof.

If you wipe down the door seals with a silicone spray lubricant, or dielectric grease, it will help repel the water and reduce freeze outs.

My 90 Daytona drivers door latch would act up in the cold. You could open the door, but then it would not catch when you tried to close it. Needed to be above freezing to close properly.

Gee, Every vehicle I have owned has drip rails (99 Dakota, 03 Pt currently), it's just with the new cars they are under the edge of the door frame. Also every full frame doored car I have owned regardless of whether it had external drip rails would have issues withthe gasket freezing to the frame if not coated with silicone.

Oh i love it...you are in a hurry, you open the door and all the snow falls right on your seat...nice ....idiots

lots of new cars still have them, it is a line with a crease that runs along the top of the roof with a seal in it so water rolls down the roof and is then channeled away from the door.

-
Back