what fits under a flat hood?

-

jamesdart

Reaction score
does the truck intake fit? edelbrock 2x4 intake leave enough room for air cleaners? car intake looks like it would be the lowest.

With .75" clearance between the K frame and the pan rail - the modman has only left me enough room for a 1/4" phenolic spacer and a 2x14 air filter using a K&N drop base .

The point of interference was the rear most hood brace which interfered with the very back of the air cleaner.

I considered chopping the brace to use a 3" filter but decided on using a Xtreme filter lid assembly to get the required filtering surface area.

This is with an Edelbrock 800 AVS Thunder.

I have a 73 Duster with TTI biscuit mounts on a 72 K-member and a stock truck intake and engine and it fits under the stock hood. I have not tried to measure yet to see how much space I have to spare.

JamesDart, I don't know if you remember GolferJohn with his dark green '68 Dart GTS clone convertible. He pulled a 340 out, installed an AlterK and the MP 5.7 crate motor I first bought for my 'Cuda. He also put Bill's rear suspension in too. Actually, a shop did the work for him. He lived up in Washington state and the shop was up there.

Anyway, it fit under the stock hood with the MP single four barrel manifold / throttle body and an air cleaner similar to a round 340 air cleaner, but with totally open element. It fit fine under the hood. At one point while I had the engine, it was mocked up in my Cuda and I put a real '68 air cleaner on it. I didn't have the hood on, but by "eyeballing" it, I don't think there would have been a problem...

This is my setup. Haven't put the hood back on yet. But my clearance is looking limited. Should be putting the hood back on in the next couple of weekends. Finishing up the small adjustments now. .

Attachments

• image-2299594222.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 351
  • image-2600327707.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 342
  • image-1521589366.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 335
What distance do you have from the k frame to the pan rail at the front.....or are you running an Alter kation?

What advantage does the Henidenny K frame provide?

In my case many, I'll list a few. I have a front steer rack and pinion that allows me to run factory 3 g hemi accessories including the a/c compressor with no clearance issues, I can run headers without clearance issues, I can run my car at a 4" ride height and all of my front suspension is above the frame rail, I can run a 20" front wheel that isn't offset flush on the wheel so there is a bit of a lip on the front wheels. I don't need to run an external oil filter adapter, I can take my valve covers and cylinder heads off without pulling the motor even with head studs, full tubular upper and lower control arms with coil overs so no torsion bars in the way. Incredible suspension geometry and a few others I may have missed. Remember one thing though I am running an extreme version of Denny's K member with a seriously lowered front suspension so some of my room is because I raised the engine a bit, however most of the benefits I mention still apply except maybe the removal of the heads with head studs without pulling the motor.

I have the 5.7 with 6.1 intake with spacers, the alternator and A/C compressor have brackets to move them out. which I bought from Dave Weber at Modern Muscle under my stock hood look at my picture gallery as I don't know how to put the pictures on here.

-
Back