What flexplate with Reid bell?

-

Leon441

Reaction score
Just curious. Reid racing has bells for both small and big block mopar. Using Ultra glide or turbo glide transmission makes no difference.

I was questioned a year or so ago about this. Seems everyone either ran a $500 Mezeire or a $350+ custom JW wheel. The one in the JW kits requires shims or a custom crank converter.

I have talked with Reid about this.

I have a reasonable alternative through quicktime. They have 6 and 8 bolt flexplates that require a few mods. Sense working with Reid and QuickTime I have gotten into this. I have a very affordable solution.

Is there any interest? If so I will have a one part solution that allows mopar starter without shims. A standard gm converter and no need for spacers. Can even make for applications with .125" or .250" midplate.

Post, pm, or call 434-660-3867

I'm interested! Would like to know more....

ATI makes a flex plate for a the Reid cased Th400. It uses a stock starter and it's $190. Part number ATI-915650X for 6 bolt crank.

ATI makes a flex plate for a the Reid cased Th400. It uses a stock starter and it's $190. Part number ATI-915650X for 6 bolt crank.

What about the 200-4R with a small block? That part number comes up for a big block.

Would your plate require a spacer on the crank with GM pilot or would the converter use standard GM height and a Mopar sized pilot?

That plate is the same as quicktime or Hayes RM-947. It may work with ATI bell for their 400 but, I doubt it. When you bolt a flat flexplate to a Mopar crank and bolt a Reid bell the starter ring is closer to the block than the oem gear that was made on the mopar converter. Therefore the starter when bolted directly to the bell the gear is meshed with starter ring without starter activation. There is a starter spacer that is 3/4" thick that would correct this.

The issue I am curious about if one used this flexplate and starter spacer you still have to pilot the gm converter. Gm is 1.u00". The crank pocket is 1.705". Chrysler is larger. ATI and other companies may have that part also. The RM-947 has a washer welded to the converter bolt holes obviously with spacing in mind. I seriously doubt it fits without some adjustments.

I ran into some of this with my R5 to Reid bell and made a part to simply solve all of the spacing issues. The other part of the fix was a 1/4" midplate to gain spacing. Most racers run one anyway. The midplate protects the block in the event of a converter explosion. Most cast bells with sfi 30.1 cert do not have a block plate. All quicktime bells have a 1/8" steel plate, they feel the spec requires. 1/4" aluminum also covers this.

I really need to finish mocking this up before coming to any more conclusions. I am 100% sure about the starter. As well the pilot. Just need to prove the converter to pump clearance will work with my idea.

As far as ATI400. They did their homework. It has both ATI and reid patterns. If you use a Reid bell, you simply tell ATI and they machine the lip smaller on the transmission and you use your Reid bell.

Thanks for the info. Just spoke with Dave at ATI. This flexplate 915-660X works. It is sold with a kit which includes a crank adapter spacer 915-630X and bolts 951-471-6.

If running 8 bolt hemi pattern. The flexplate is 915-660X. The adapter spacer is 915-660X. Bolts 951-435-8.

I am still checking but reasonably sure this same arrangement will work with Reid sbm and BBm bells.

Thanks for the input guys. You led me to the answers needed. No sense in making a part if it already exists.

Would your plate require a spacer on the crank with GM pilot or would the converter use standard GM height and a Mopar sized pilot?

Spacer on crank piloting the gm converter.

I don't believe in erector sets or one off converters. Mopar guys should not have to reinvent the wheel when buying parts.

All sorted out.

Early Reid bells were deeper. They accommodate the flexplate and converter nicely. But, they are 3/8" longer than JW bells.

So Reid shortened up after pressure from racers.

You can simply swap out the JW Bell and case and keep running the starter spacers. If you read my post you know how I feel about that.

Best deal I found is 1/4" midplate. ATI adapter. ATI or QuickTime flexplate and standard converter.

Main thing however you do this. From the lip on pilot adapter to rear of Reid bell needs to be 5 1/2" deep for stock dimension gm converter.

Believe it or not there is a way to run a Mopar converter with Th400 spline with a QuickTime flexplate with mopar bolt pattern and pilot. It's trick and complicated but out there.

-
Back