What front tire and rim size is best on an a body bracket car?

-
Those have a T speed rating, 118 MPH, whats your life worth?
$100...plus tax and shipping, so $117 for my life. With that same logic you are worth $400...plus tax and shipping :p

Sorry, I couldn't help my self :-D

I see your point, but for the very brief time (about 1 second) that I exceed that speed, I don't think its a problem (see post above about how those ratings are determined).

I have not found any Speed rating on any of the "drag front tires.
No temp rating
no load rating.........
LightWeight is the only reason you spend big money on a tire that will not last.
I only drag race my car. But my pocket book will not allow me to buy 700 dollar a piece super lightweight wheel and the same for tires.
If i ever get enough HP in my car to do some super HIgh Wheel stand and come down hard.........I bet my low dollar tires and wheel will take the abuse better than them LW (light weights)

If i get crossed up going down the track..........i my wish i had them high dollar tire to get it away from the wall.:thumbsup:

Well we know they have been tested north of 336 MPH
Eh.....on what? If you are thinking Top Fuel, then no....they use a different tire.
front_runner_tires.jpg

Eh.....on what? If you are thinking Top Fuel, then no....they use a different tire.
View attachment 1715322370
Well next time your at the track, walk thru the pits and count how many cars have Goodyear front runners than count how many have VW tires on them! It's you life, live it, or not, how you want. There is a place and a time for everything.

There lighter and and there for quicker. that's the reason there used not that they will hold up to a higher speed.
There not D.O.T approved for a reason.......the would not pass the test. But they will live on a race track.

There lighter and and there for quicker. that's the reason there used not that they will hold up to a higher speed.
There not D.O.T approved for a reason.......the would not pass the test. But they will live on a race track.
Agreed ,that's 5lbs of rotating mass, just like lightweight brakes.
Also lightweight wheels I've heard will 60ft better because of less inertia.
But a street strip car has different needs so I get that too.

Well next time your at the track, walk thru the pits and count how many cars have Goodyear front runners than count how many have VW tires on them! It's you life, live it, or not, how you want. There is a place and a time for everything.

Almost no one uses Goodyear front runners at my track....granted, I live in Indiana, so we have a lot of Hoosiers....wait for it it to sink in....... (Indiana...Hoosiers.....sorry, bad joke) :-D

Sorry, you walked right into that one....anyway, back on topic. In all honesty, I can only think of 1 car at my track that uses Goodyear fronts, most folks use other brands. The front tire choice has a LOT to do with what rears you are using. If you are using a bias ply slick, then you need something like the Goodyear, Micky T, Hooiser, Moroso, Phoenix, etc. If you are running radials then you want a radial up front. Not as many choices here, but MT has some nice ones, or you can go the cheap route and "live on the edge" with us thrill seekers (sarcasm).

In the end, do what you are comfortable with. For me, I'm very comfortable with what I use. Not saying its right or wrong, to each their own.

Last edited:
Precisely, they are designed for racing, and racers want every performance edge they can get which means as little rotating mass as possible. They are made to run on a smooth flat surface, with no obstructions. One of my friends had one of his MT fronts go down driving back from a run...it happened in the pits (thank goodness), ran over a hard piece of plastic (which is why I mentioned "plastic" a few posts back) and the tire went down INSTANTLY. He ended up having to pull out of comp because he didn't have a spare.

If you think about materials of construction for each tire, one could argue that the "street tire" is much safer due to it being less likely to have an instant flat situation like mentioned above.

Precisely, they are designed for racing, and racers want every performance edge they can get which means as little rotating mass as possible. They are made to run on a smooth flat surface, with no obstructions. One of my friends had one of his MT fronts go down driving back from a run...it happened in the pits (thank goodness), ran over a hard piece of plastic (which is why I mentioned "plastic" a few posts back) and the tire went down INSTANTLY. He ended up having to pull out of comp because he didn't have a spare.

If you think about materials of construction for each tire, one could argue that the "street tire" is much safer due to it being less likely to have an instant flat situation like mentioned above.

I have been avoiding posting in this discussion. The front drag tires are the most flimsiest and unsafe tire for the streets , made !
Any radial will be safer than them, speed rating or not. Especially Okla. streets !

If i get crossed up going down the track..........i my wish i had them high dollar tire to get it away from the wall.

I'm not sure what would pull you away from the wall better. My drag fronts were very round, they only had about 3/4 of an inch of contact with the road/track.
Even tho they are very soft they are lacking in contact so I just dont know how that plays out VS 5" of contact and a much harder compound.

I do know they were lighter and had much less rolling resistance but like I said, they wear out FAST!

Last edited:
I Used VW tires, they were Goodyear G-metric for many years in the late 80,s.

Today MT’ sportsman radial 26x6.00 on 15x3.5 street only. 7.5 Moroso pan. Lots of clearance even on speed bumps.

Last edited:
Not to high jack the thread....Can I run MT sportsman radial fronts with Hooiser bias ply slicks without a problem?
Always heard not to mix radial's & bias ply tires.

Not to high jack the thread....Can I run MT sportsman radial fronts with Hooiser bias ply slicks without a problem?
Always heard not to mix radial's & bias ply tires.
You can...but I would not recommend it. I used to run radials up front and Hoosier Quick Time Pro's on the rear, and it worked (ran it like this for 8-9 years), but it was not real stable going down the road (it would "hunt" around even when going straight). Once I switched to drag radials on the rear to match the radials up front the car was MUCH more stable all the way around. Makes me wish I did it right the first time, but oh well...live and learn I suppose.

Mine's a bracket only car,no street time.
Just wondering if the front would skate around with the radials.

-
Back