what gear do I need

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
well it is time to change the speedo gear in the tranny. I was cruising down the road the other day and the speedo was sitting on 90. I forgot to change it when I done the rearend and everything else. I think I need a 32 or 33. what do you think. Just want to make sure. I found a chart but didnt make sense. I am running 3:23 gears in a Duster. 440/727. tire size on rear is 245/60/15. The chart I found said my tire diameter was 26.6. that put me in the midle of a 32 and 33 tooth gear. which one is right for me. also would it be a short shaft style or a long shaft style I need. Thanks,Bill

Bill,depends on factors.What do you want,for final results? Next,more input needed.What cam,heads,conpression,converter ,gears? This way,you get the right answer,1st time.Saves you money,in the long run.

well, let me see here.509/292 cam, heads-452 with updated springs, compression- not sure. have keith black flat top pistons, hughes 2800 stall,3:23 gears. what do you think.

Somewhere,3:55's for sat car shows,cruising.Ramp,to acceleration,370''s-3:90's.Will cost more at the pump.My guess,with a .509 Purple Shaft,not a major concern on your part.

I thonk hes asking about the gear for the speedo cable not the rear end. Or maybe im reading it wrong.

yeah, I am wanting which speedo gear. I am very happy with the rearend gear.

General rule of thumb... if the tire size is somewhat close to the stock size, you can just take the first 2 digits of your rear gear size and buy that tooth speedo gear. Yours being a 3:23, you should be able to run either the 32 or 33 tooth gear with very close results. The 60 series tires you are running have a somewhat shorter sidewall, but should be close enough to make a determination based on the stock size!! Geof

I dont know what the stock size was on this car. I am running 15's on the rear and 14's on the front. also there was mention of a short shaft gear and a long shaft gear. do you know what is supposed to go in a 1976 727 tranny. if I pull it, what am I looking for as to whether it is a short or long shaft.

-
Back