what happens?

-

bad440

everything,all the time..
Reaction score
ok so i was messing with a truck the other day and it had a broken bolt on the battery terminal.i changed the bolt.the battery would not hold a charge after that.a mechanic told the guy it was because the bolt was galvanized.any truth to that?

Yep!! I have cleaned well over 5 dozen battery terminals just in my family..
Voltage will carry but amps will not ...

ok so i was messing with a truck the other day and it had a broken bolt on the battery terminal.i changed the bolt.the battery would not hold a charge after that.a mechanic told the guy it was because the bolt was galvanized.any truth to that?

Uh, sorry, no.

Clean the inside of the terminal and the post. Try again. What does the voltmeter say? A voltmeter can be used to measure battery voltage or voltage drop between battery post and terminal. The voltage measured is most useful when cranking the starter. You will need a helper.

You may have damaged the battery's internal if you were aggressive trying to remove the bolt. Did you have a hammer anywhere near the repair? Also twisting the post does harm.

A galvanized bolt holding the terminal clamp closed will have no effect on charging. Electricity will follow the path of least resistance, which is directly between the post, clamp, and wire.

no i did not ,hammer,twist,pry,etc on the battery at all. it was not tight.i have a terminal cleaner....

i would get the battery on charger .get it fully charged. if it will take a full charge load test the battery. it may have gone south on you. i can almost promise you the clamp bolt is completely irrelevant.

Sometimes batteries just do silly stuff. Once I found a "good" battery in our core pile, looked great, charged up OK, specific gravity was fine, load tested great!!!! So I immediately dumped it in my pickup, ran it about two weeks, and one day NOTHING. Would not even operate the dash/ tail lights.

An internal connector had broken, disconnecting things inside. I imagine that's why it was traded in to start with.

I've had batteries that were open as well as batteries that were partially shorted by all the junk that settled to the bottom (as least I assume so).

If you are using a traditional battery clamp where the bolt just tightens the clamp around the post, then the bolt has nothing to do with the situation other than holding the clamp together, noting that I would not recommend placing a galvanized bolt into the installation in such a way that current flows through it and it becomes apart of the circuit, not that it would not conduct current, but because of the issues that can result from the galvanization exposed to electrical charge this way. Batteries are consumable items to start with, as the battery ages the plates develop a scale that reduces their effectiveness and can come lose, becoming a sediment in the bottom of the cell. If this sediment becomes deep enough to contact the battery plates, then the batter develops a short and fails as a result. I have actually revived dead batteries by dropping an aspirin into each cell, which causes the scaling on the plates to shed and present "fresh" material to function as an active portion of the battery. After the aspirin treatment, the batteries need to be completely flushed and the sediment removed and new acid provided. If the plates are not too far gone the battery will work well after properly charging. If not the battery may be too far gone, internal connections dissolved etc and the battery is junk.

-
Back