What height for front runners

-

zanderzone

Aussie Member
Reaction score
Is there a benefit for having a taller front runner?

I have MT ET Street radials 295/65/15 on the rear and run low 11's.
I have just ported the heads and put a spool in the rear 8 3/4 3.91's
I have been running my street tyres at the front which are 235/60/15
Now I am buying a set of 4.5 x 15 rims
What tyres should I be getting for the front?

Cheers

Dave

I think the benefit to a taller tire is you can leave sooner on the tree and you ET a little faster. Notice NHRA Stock and Super Stock run 28 and 29 inch front runners.

For me there was a couple of things to consider. With a taller tire "28inch" and you can leave sooner on the tree when compared to a shorter tire "26inch".

Footbraking the amx on a two step at 2500rpm I had a hard time with the 26inch tire. I had to wait a little after the third yellow. I tried a set of 28's for a season and I was leaving sooner but would red light once and awhile. Then I tried a set of 27inch goodyears and that was perfect. I could leave the instant I saw the third yellow. Of course you'll ET faster with taller tires..."Something to think about".

This winter I put a transbrake in with an adjustable biondo transbrake switch. Now I can leave on the third yellow no matter what and adjust the switch delay to make the car leave sooner or later.

I have a '67 barracuda and both 26 and 27 inch tires fit nice in the wheel wells. The 28's fit but the wheel well lip needed to be trimmed a little.

Mickey thompson makes an 8ply side wall front runner, its really heavy but works nice on the street.

Everything else being equal, a taller tire should be easier to roll because it's farther from the center of the tire to the edge. More leverage makes it easier to overcome the friction of the bearings & the drag (if any) of the front brakes.

-
Back