what holds the hood spring mechanism on the pin?

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what holds the hood spring mechanism on the pin in the inner fender of a 74 Duster?
Got to be clip or cap or something....

Attachments

• hoodspring.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 176
From the looks of it a press on spring steel retainer, but a wave washer and cotter pin would work well.
Of course you would have to drill the pin.

it's supposed to have one of those flat spring washers. (I forget their name) they are also used to hold drum brakes on.

it's supposed to have one of those flat spring washers. (I forget their name) they are also used to hold drum brakes on.

I can't remember the name either, but a wavy spring washer and then a flat washer so there won't be any rattles from it.
Then press the flat washer down on the sring washer and put the cotter pin through it.
Quiet, reliable and simple.

Maybe even a flat nylon washer behind the bracket against the body so it doesn't scuff it up.

This style was the original and is called either a push nut or pal nut.

Attachments

• palnut.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 139
I ended up buying a push nut similar to what Greg posted at a local hardware store. I just measured the shaft and went and bought a couple different sizes close to the shaft size and used the one that fit best.

Can anyone tell me what holds the hood spring mechanism on the pin in the inner fender of a 74 Duster?
Got to be clip or cap or something....

Yup, grab one of the push nuts that is pictured, problem solved.

It's a real pain in the arse when you close the hood and the hood spring goes boink!

look at your picture -- you see exactly what was used-- it is holding the spring in place --with a nice coat of red paint-- they used the same type clip for the 2 hinge points also ,Lawrence

look at your picture -- you see exactly what was used-- it is holding the spring in place --with a nice coat of red paint-- they used the same type clip for the 2 hinge points also ,Lawrence

:banghead: Lol, I didn't even notice that!

-
Back