What If Build Ideas...for Land Speed Racing

-
Chatted with the tech guys today. I was told the easiest thing to do is download the tech inspection form and follow what is looked for while remembering safety listed is just the minimum. I will be fine now. Just need to be less paranoid and read what is actually said. Can now resume normally scheduled programming.

I finally got around to setting up my new 110 welder for sheet metal work. I welded most of the Charger back window in. Oh and SCTA issued me my requested car number. Officially car 476. Getting closer

20240405_165908.jpg

Back window is finished welded in. Also the floor is now all welded back where I made the relief cuts to flatten it.

Working on the Charger today. Got a trans mount made and engine plate to roll cage mounts. Just tacked in. Bolts were the only 1/2" bolts I have. Engine and trans are bolted in for the first time!

20240414_114141.jpg

20240414_114132.jpg

Then built the steering. Need to support it better and I want to move the quick connect down near the interior support so the shaft come off with the wheel for more clearance. With the mounts and steering, it allowed me to push it outside. Nice to see it at a distance in the sunlight.

20240414_163456.jpg

20240414_162728.jpg

20240414_162848.jpg

I always thought a 67-69 Barracuda Fastback would make a decent speed car. I am sure you would have to tweak the nose and tail a bit to improve the car's aerodynamics (like they did with the Charger 500), but the car looks like it might be slippery enough at high speed. And if there are engine CI restrictions, I think I would go with a stroked small block on nitrous.

I always thought a 67-69 Barracuda Fastback would make a decent speed car. I am sure you would have to tweak the nose and tail a bit to improve the car's aerodynamics (like they did with the Charger 500), but the car looks like it might be slippery enough at high speed. And if there are engine CI restrictions, I think I would go with a stroked small block on nitrous.
1713155083691.png

4/27 is 427 Day!

This 2,070hp four-wheel-drive projectile is actually faster then a speeding bullet!

The Challenger II streamliner was the brainchild of the hyper-prolific and ingenious Mickey Thompson in collaboration with Ford's small volume fabricator Kar Kraft. Built in only five months in 1968, because Ford spared no expence for the best and most talented engineers and fabricators. It was noteworthy for its unprecedented who's-who of talent. With drag-racing fabricator Pat Foster overseeing the build, Thompson hired the famous IndyCar builder Quin Epperly for chassis construction, TopFuel builder Tom Jobe, and Nye Frank handling the many aluminum panels necessary to sheath the race car, with assistance from Lil' John Buttera. Ford supplied money and engineering talent, with some fab help from Kar Kraft in Detroit. The 30 feet long and 37 inches high Challenger II had two 427-SOHC Ford engines. A conventional naturally aspirated one prosucing 810 horses up front. And a supercharged one producing 1,260 horses in the rear. It required a judicious application of the twin foot-operated throttles to keep steady. These engines cost over $6,000 apiece at the time. We should also add that this car was being constructed while Thompson was in the middle of building his Bonneville Mustangs and three Mustang Funny Cars.

On one of the early runs piloted by Mickey Thompson the Challenger II topped 400mph. To put that into perspective, that's 586fps (feet per second) which is faster than the 500fps bullet from a .22 caliber CB Cap rimfire “Colibrí” round. The Challenger II hit 400mph easily, as it was just warming up before an unseasonal heavy rain storm flooded the salt. Soon after Ford pulled the plug as part of its withdraw from racing in the fall of 1969.

Thompson had planned to run the Challenger II agian in 1988. He put together the first part of the funding to upgrade the Challenger II, three weeks later, Mickey and his second wife Trudy were gunned down in their driveway.

Recently his son Danny just took Ford's 50 year old Challenger II and broke the current piston-powered land speed record (AA/FS class) at a two way average of 448.75 mph, with two non-Ford engines running nitromethane. A terminal speed that absolutely smashed George Poteet Speed Demon's 439 mph record. If left in its original shape, that car would be worth millions today.

IMG_2674.jpeg

Art Arfons is a hero. True hot rodder, used what he had and did crazy speeds.

-
Back