What If Build Ideas...for Land Speed Racing

-

71GSSDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, what if...

You decided to go to Bonneville (Speed Week this week has me thinking). You guess you need 700-800hp to get your 68-70 B Body close to 200mph. You need to run WOT for about 5 miles a several times for licensing. What would you build for a motor? The cars are heavy typically by design for stability. It would seem less grueling than the Silver State Classic Challenge being this race is 93 miles of near WOT.

I saw a video where Pete Turk sprayed nitrous for a full 70 seconds!! I assume a very good rotating assembly, what would you use? Max wedge sized head ports?

Big Block N/A?
Big Block with boost?
Small Block for lots of RPM?
Cross bolted mains style block?
E85? Methanol?

Edit: Keeping a reasonable budget for an average poor guy.

Last edited:
No budget? R5P7 with a giant turbo on meth.

Realistically? A bulletproofed 400 BB with a giant turbo on E85-90.

Depends on what class you want to be in, and how many performance and safety mods you want to do to the rest of the car. And who you want to compete against.

Am I correct in thinking you cannot just show up with a hot rod and race at Bonneville speed week can you?

it’s not like going to a drag strip rest and tune.

No budget? R5P7 with a giant turbo on meth.

Realistically? A bulletproofed 400 BB with a giant turbo on E85-90.
I knew someone would go there on the lack of budget. Just an average guy. What do people think is needed to run WOT for 5 miles at a time and make the HP number?

You say giant turbo, but i would think something capable of 20-25lbs of boost should be enough, no?

Depends on what class you want to be in, and how many performance and safety mods you want to do to the rest of the car. And who you want to compete against.

Am I correct in thinking you cannot just show up with a hot rod and race at Bonneville speed week can you?

it’s not like going to a drag strip rest and tune.
I purposely left the car out of it. And the thoughts were to hit 200mph while passing tech and, as mentioned, all the licensing runs. The parameters where to make the 700-800hp and survive WOT for 5 miles at a time.

To answer, yes and no. You can just show up, but have to pass tech. Then license at 125, 150, 175, 200, etc. To be honored in the official 200 MPH Club, you also need to break an existing record. That would be in excess of 260mph for a modified sport or competition coupe. So regardless of class, car, etc....

If the car passes tech and you can get the passes to make it to 200. What would the engine be?

G3 Hemi... 6.4L BGE block with internals (thick pistons) to handle healthy boost from a big turbo. The size of the turbo has more to do with airflow volume than boost pressure. Those engines also have piston oil squirters from factory which are a huge advantage when talking about long periods under heavy load.

I would build "some kind" of B or RB engine. I'd have to do lots of research first, but that's what I'd build. BOTH times Chrysler stopped Hemi production (1st and 2nd generation) because of both cost and complexity of the valve train and turned back to the B/RB platform. They are more compact than the Hemi, have a much simpler valve arrangement and are cheaper to build. Beyond that, without some more research and knowledge, that's "all I got".

I knew someone would go there on the lack of budget. Just an average guy. What do people think is needed to run WOT for 5 miles at a time and make the HP number?

You say giant turbo, but i would think something capable of 20-25lbs of boost should be enough, no?

I think any turbo capable of sustaining 20-25lbs of boost on a well flowing 400" motor would be pretty darn big. Steve Morris just made 1600hp with twin 67s on a G3 hemi on E85, I think that's right in @MopaR&D 's ballpark.

I think any turbo capable of sustaining 20-25lbs of boost on a well flowing 400" motor would be pretty darn big. Steve Morris just made 1600hp with twin 67s on a G3 hemi on E85, I think that's right in @MopaR&D 's ballpark.
So speaking of boost, I believe it is the measurement of resistance. A large port (like Max Wedge size) would take much more volume to create the boost vs a more restrictive head and smaller turbo. Steve builds some crazy engines for sure!

I would look at a Gen three Hemi. With boost. The platform is well evolved and then you don’t have to reinvent the wheel as there is an abundance of data on them with results. plus the platform is now well supported. 7-900 HP is relatively common with the platform. Just my .02

Don't shoot the messenger.......BUT.......I wonder how much more affordable an LS platform of some such would be?

Don't shoot the messenger.......BUT.......I wonder how much more affordable an LS platform of some such would be?
Likely much more affordable overall, but then if I build the turbo LS for my Charger, as an example, I can save money on good brakes then too as I would need to continue driving and run into the side of the mountain at the end too. Actually, do it all on a CC and never even have to pay the bill! All joking aside, it would likely be the least expensive way, just not an option in my thoughts there. Thank you.

So, lets build on the comments above for a min. Lets say it was decided to build a 400ci B motor. Remember, WOT for 5 miles at a time here....

What block?
Is the factory casting good enough?
Aftermarket? Does it need cross bolted mains?
What rotating assembly? take it to 451 (seems like a go to size) with Molnar parts as an example? Calies?

Likely much more affordable overall, but then if I build the turbo LS for my Charger, as an example, I can save money on good brakes then too as I would need to continue driving and run into the side of the mountain at the end too. Actually, do it all on a CC and never even have to pay the bill! All joking aside, it would likely be the least expensive way, just not an option in my thoughts there. Thank you.
I completely understand. I couldn't do it either. Kinda defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

1691603219772.png

1691603334227.png

Okay, maybe not an "everyman" type build- but since it's a "what if"... this thing will run all day at 60,000 rpm, on laquer thinner if need be.

On a more realistic note, I would seriously consider a Viper V10. Just sayin'.

The affordability (cheapness) would be short lived compared to the mopar embarrassment.

Last edited:
The guy I bought my other W8 mill from had gone 202mph in his Dakota using the W8 9.0 deck n/a single carb platform. They sold all that stuff and started playing with a Cummins 4bt

Any thoughts from anyone on factory blocks? HP level? When to cross bolt the mains?

Couple things Ive learned at bonneville,
1. Get a rule book and build to a class. Don’t just put together a car and hope it fits in somewhere. Be very specific.
2. If all of your math says you need 800hp to go 200mph, build 1000hp.
3. Forget about saving weight (weird I know but on the salt the weight is actually beneficial)
4. Be extremely diligent about saftey, around 160mph things get serious and if it goes bad, it goes really bad quick.
BE84FABE-D107-4F05-BE1E-4A3A6BE07E37.png
Bonneville is a magical place.

-
Back